Help with motherboard and CPU for new FreeNAS build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I did see firmware updates in the bios menus so downloaded the latest update. The firmware update ipmi page had a place to upload a file. It said I couldn't upload a .zip, only a .bin. Fine, so I unzipped the download but there wasn't a .bin.
I've not got your board, so can't see the screen you're seeing. The X11SPH0.B03 file inside the ZIP file should be your BIOS file though. Even though it doesn't have a .BIN extension, it is a BINary file type, so your system may (should?) load it for update just fine.

If you've got a monitor attached for that initial install of Proxmox, you could also update the BIOS (and also IPMI I believe) the "old school" way. In this case though, instead of booting from a "DOS bootable" USB (or Disk if you're really old like me), you need to boot into the motherboard's built in UEFI shell, and then run the BIOS update from files saved to a USB flash drive. Take a look at the instructions in that Read Me file in the section "Standard BIOS Update Procedure under UEFI Shell" .

Cheers!

rskoss

Oct 9, 2020
Okay, so **if** I get a MacPro, I'll get 6 modules (not from Apple). I probably will, I routinely peg the CPU and the 64GB of memory I have in this iMac.
I watched my iMac grind for the last time. I did order a 16-core Mac Pro. I ordered it with the minimum memory because Apple charges an absurd markup on RAM. It will come with 4x8GB of 2933 DDR4 ECC R-DIMM. From what you guys have taught me here, the 2 sticks of 64GB RAM that I incorrectly ordered should be able to be added to the RAM that the Mac Pro ships with. What isn't clear is which slots they would go in:

rskoss

Oct 9, 2020
Nothing about this build has gone / is going well. Somebody early on suggested I get this SSD for my virtual machines: Intel SSD DC P3605 Series PCIe 1.6TB SSDPEDME016T4S | eBay

It's a HHHL card (an acronym I just learned this morning) that doesn't fit into my 4U case. Am I miss-understanding something? Is there an adapter that would allow me to use it? Or should I shop for a different SSD on a BIG card?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
HHHL should come with a full height adapter too :)

Edit:
Ok, maybe not that used one, but a brand new Intel NVME card does have that, so it should be available pretty easily.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Lol, next time its going to be easier;)

And to be sure measure your current card's spacing, but it looks right.
For testing you also can use the card without bracket, but not that good for long time use.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Actually these wont fit, since they are threaded.
Intel cards are not, the threading is in the cards and the screws are rather thin

rskoss

Oct 9, 2020
Lol, next time its going to be easier;)

And to be sure measure your current card's spacing, but it looks right.
For testing you also can use the card without bracket, but not that good for long time use.
re: Next time

I learned a lot from you guys and from fumbling around making mistakes.

re: card w/o bracket

That will let me keep the project moving forward. I won't put it in the rack until I get a bracket though.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
same thing, threaded inserts... The spacing is standard LSI (for what that's worth) so there are lots of brackets. problem is screws go in from the front, bracket fingers on the back to secure the card to the bracket. with these, screws in from the back (no threads). IIRC I got this to work by filing off the threaded inserts.

You might ask in the WTB/WTT/WTS forum area to see if someone has the full height intel or lsi bracket (aagain IIRC from testing the brackets from optane 900P's also work - worth a search, I can check this in a few hours). Even better if they were nearby to you either Fast USPS or no-contact handoff! :). I have an Oracle F80 (lSI/seagate nytro thing) that is blown. I'll check the bracket on that and see which side screws in.
Also DELL H310 Brackets should work - again filing off threads. Happy to get a couple to you.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I dont think most sellers realize that their brackets dont work, havent found a single one without threads while doing a quick search :/

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
The Intel NVMEs have threads in the card, so you shouldn't have any in the bracket, else its getting to thick.

Have a look at your card when you get it, will make things clearer.

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I don't understand what you mean by "filing off threads". How will it attach to the board if you file off the piece where the threads go?
Edit: In the post above, @Rand__ covered what I'm saying below in, like, a quarter of the words. I didn't see it till I'd hit "post" on mine. Some day I'll learn to be brief...but not today it seems :rolleyes:

Hope this makes sense:

1. The brackets you're looking at will work from a hole spacing perspective. The one from Amazon you linked to above is listed as being for Disk RAID/HBA Controller cards, but it has the same hole spacing and height relative to the holes that the Intel SSDs do. The other one(s) from Ebay look to be the right size too.

2. As for the threads...For the RAID/HBA Cards, the card has a simple hole in the circuit board. You put the bracket up against the "back" of the circuit board and "trap" the circuit board between the screw head and the bracket, with the screw head on the "front" side circuit board (the side with most of the components on it). On the other hand, the Intel SSD's circuit board has threads built into it. Its not just a hole for the screw to go through. On the Intel SSD, you put the screw through from the back of the circuit board and its the bracket that gets trapped between the screw head and the card. So the bracket has no threads. To use those "threaded" brackets you're finding, you can either file the threads off or simply drill them out with a slightly larger drill bit if you're feeling handy. The metal in those brackets is pretty soft, so its not difficult.

Buying used is definitely a roll of the dice. Sometimes you wind up having to provide screws or brackets that the new parts would come with. And if you're not familiar, its hard to know what's "missing".

rskoss

Oct 9, 2020
same thing, threaded inserts... The spacing is standard LSI (for what that's worth) so there are lots of brackets. problem is screws go in from the front, bracket fingers on the back to secure the card to the bracket. with these, screws in from the back (no threads). IIRC I got this to work by filing off the threaded inserts.

You might ask in the WTB/WTT/WTS forum area to see if someone has the full height intel or lsi bracket (aagain IIRC from testing the brackets from optane 900P's also work - worth a search, I can check this in a few hours). Even better if they were nearby to you either Fast USPS or no-contact handoff! :). I have an Oracle F80 (lSI/seagate nytro thing) that is blown. I'll check the bracket on that and see which side screws in.
Also DELL H310 Brackets should work - again filing off threads. Happy to get a couple to you.
I'm no further along. Every search that has a picture is like what I've been showing you.

As for asking in another forum, I'm not convinced I won't end up with a bracket that won't work. Especially since the ebay ad that specifically said P3600 had the wrong bracket.

rskoss

Oct 9, 2020
The Intel NVMEs have threads in the card, so you shouldn't have any in the bracket, else its getting to thick.

Have a look at your card when you get it, will make things clearer.
I'm holding my bracket in my hand. I took it off the card to insert the card so I can keep making progress towards working servers. The orientation of the part that attaches to the chassis doesn't match the picture, but I still don't understand this filing business. Are you talking about an Intel P3600? Like the one shown here? Amazon.com: Intel Solid-State Drive DC P3600 Series Solid State Drive - Internal Pci_X_4 0" SSDPEDME016T401: Home Audio & Theater

rskoss

Oct 9, 2020
Reactions: itronin

rskoss

Oct 9, 2020
Edit: In the post above, @Rand__ covered what I'm saying below in, like, a quarter of the words. I didn't see it till I'd hit "post" on mine. Some day I'll learn to be brief...but not today it seems :rolleyes:

Hope this makes sense:

1. The brackets you're looking at will work from a hole spacing perspective. The one from Amazon you linked to above is listed as being for Disk RAID/HBA Controller cards, but it has the same hole spacing and height relative to the holes that the Intel SSDs do. The other one(s) from Ebay look to be the right size too.

2. As for the threads...For the RAID/HBA Cards, the card has a simple hole in the circuit board. You put the bracket up against the "back" of the circuit board and "trap" the circuit board between the screw head and the bracket, with the screw head on the "front" side circuit board (the side with most of the components on it). On the other hand, the Intel SSD's circuit board has threads built into it. Its not just a hole for the screw to go through. On the Intel SSD, you put the screw through from the back of the circuit board and its the bracket that gets trapped between the screw head and the card. So the bracket has no threads. To use those "threaded" brackets you're finding, you can either file the threads off or simply drill them out with a slightly larger drill bit if you're feeling handy. The metal in those brackets is pretty soft, so its not difficult.

Buying used is definitely a roll of the dice. Sometimes you wind up having to provide screws or brackets that the new parts would come with. And if you're not familiar, its hard to know what's "missing".
I'm not convinced we're both talking about a P3600.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Right, but I don't have faith I won't get the same wrong bracket I'd get from ebay.

Hold that thought about sending me one :) I don't want to rack this server without the card firmly attached, and if there aren't any other options....
Well this is the same forum here so I would hope that ppl are more knowledgeable than your average Ebay seller.
Just make sure to ask for a pic before getting it sent to you and you should be fine

In the end (afaik) all Intel NVMe cards use the same brackets, so any fitting either of them should fit your's too.