Help with motherboard and CPU for new FreeNAS build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
so its not in IT (but in IR) mode...
But that shouldn't have anything to do with the Drives appearing in the BIOS but (I suppose) might in TNC.

FWIW, @rskoss it would be worth it to hit enter (from the screenshot) on the controller, going to the next screen and then selecting SAS Toplogy and hitting enter there - which if the 4 bay is powered would list the drives the SAS controller sees. Again not expecting to see 4 but we should not assume anything going forward - though it is possible the controller grabbed one of the drives and therfore is not being presented to TNC - possible but unlikely.

After this the next step is to check the SM site for that motherboard and see if they have released IT mode firmware for it... otherwise a simple cross flash to LSI firmware may be required.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
It should not impact the visibility of drives at all unless he had configured an array somehow.

Reactions: itronin

rskoss

Oct 9, 2020
But that shouldn't have anything to do with the Drives appearing in the BIOS but (I suppose) might in TNC.

FWIW, @rskoss it would be worth it to hit enter (from the screenshot) on the controller, going to the next screen and then selecting SAS Toplogy and hitting enter there - which if the 4 bay is powered would list the drives the SAS controller sees. Again not expecting to see 4 but we should not assume anything going forward - though it is possible the controller grabbed one of the drives and therfore is not being presented to TNC - possible but unlikely.

After this the next step is to check the SM site for that motherboard and see if they have released IT mode firmware for it... otherwise a simple cross flash to LSI firmware may be required.
SAS Topology shows 3 SATA drives.

Tin-Man

Jan 27, 2021
Sorry to hijack a thread but I am having some errors in my VMWare host logs and oddly enough this thead is the only place on the entire google search universe that has the same error. I however am not building a freenas, nor has proxmox ever been on my server and at the moment it doesn't look like ive got partition issues or volume creation problems but the end result of this threads isnt looking so good as to possible causes for this error. Any of you fine gents might have some insite as to what this error means and what are the problems i should be getting ready for? this error is repeated tons and tons as far few days back as the logs could go.

WARNING: NVMEMGMT:610 Force to use global nsID

Tin-Man

Jan 27, 2021
nsID sounds like namespace ID. What drive are you running?
No Hdds or SDDs. 2 NVMe drives. One is directly on the server motherboard, the other is on an asus hyper card in a PCIe slot. The slot has bifurcation enabled so as to split the x16 into 4 x4 channels (if my understanding of it is correct) for each of 4 slots on the pci express. I only have one slot populated at the moment. My original intention when assembling this server was to raid several nvme in that hyper card so I was trying enable the Intel ROC feature so I have raid enabled every which way in the bios settings that I could find but found that i was going to need to get a hardware key. Any of that make a difference? What exactly is a name space?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Assumed you had nvme ;)

maybe your vroc attempts tamper with the drive local to a never created global namespace

Ideally get rid of all the rad things in the bios (or get a key) and setup on individual disk (or newly created virtual nvme raid)