Help with motherboard and CPU for new FreeNAS build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rskoss

Oct 9, 2020
my 2 cents. Install the p3605 in a windoze box (if you have one and are comfortable with windows) and see if you can repartition/format it there first. Ie. give it a bit of a test drive, copy some files etc. etc. If it works there you've ruled out the P3605 has issues. If you are more comfortable with Linux give that a go instead.
Your suggestion of having a windows box available on my bench to plug in boards/drives, etc. is a good one. Maybe I could build one. Haha. I crack myself up.

I'll keep an eye on Craigslist for something decent.

rskoss

Oct 9, 2020
I hope I was not to quick with my suggestion regarding PartedMagic because of PCIe NVME vs M.2 NVME ... But if Ubuntu works with nvme-cli then you should be fine. Don't pay for PartedMagic, let me know if needed.
Thanks. Let's see what we can figure out here. Ubuntu is alive and well. Here is what we have to work with:

Grrrrr........ I can't make a selection from the console to copy/paste here. Frustration is building.....

lsblk shows the p3605 as nvme0n1 with partition nvme0n1p2 with 1.5T size.

Now what?????

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
I would suggest running:

nvme format /dev/nvme0n1

But hang on for the others to chime in as well.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Grrrrr........ I can't make a selection from the console to copy/paste here. Frustration is building.....
Screenshot? ;)

1. Create a Filesystem on it and try writing some dummy data
2. If good remove any partition on it and try the drive back in esxi

Formatting as @zack$ suggested would be part of #1 ;)

rskoss

Oct 9, 2020
Screenshot? ;)

1. Create a Filesystem on it and try writing some dummy data
2. If good remove any partition on it and try the drive back in esxi

Formatting as @zack$ suggested would be part of #1 ;)
I did as you said, was able to touch a file on it, wiped it, un-passed it through to ubuntu, and lo and behold, I am able to use it from esxi!!!!!!

This is a good day. I uploaded my TrueNAS.iso file to it.

Amazon delivered 4 spinners yesterday. UPS was supposed to deliver 4 more yesterday but I have an email saying not until Monday. So I'm on hold until I can fill up the chassis with hard drives.

Starting to see the light at the end of this tunnel.

Reactions: gb00s and itronin

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Small victories my friend....but they is no light at the end of this tunnel :D..it's constant trial and error.

We are all here to learn !

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Rabbit holes are deep and dark, but there is some light at the end... just need to know where the next one starts:p

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
f
.... Amazon delivered 4 spinners yesterday. UPS was supposed to deliver 4 more yesterday but I have an email saying not until Monday. So I'm on hold until I can fill up the chassis with hard drives....
why stopping now? use and keep the momentum. until you are using any raidz setup, you could go with raid10, install the 4 delivered drives, then add the other 4 on monday. test. test. test.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
there's also the Freenas/TNC hard drive burn in process - maybe some more learning there too. Short, Conveyance, Long, Blinux's handy dandy badblock scripty, Long... miles to go yet before you sleep! And before you say "But these are new drives!" :oops: - yeah precisely why you need to run the burn-in! ;)

Reactions: gb00s and zack$

rskoss

Oct 9, 2020
f

why stopping now? use and keep the momentum. until you are using any raidz setup, you could go with raid10, install the 4 delivered drives, then add the other 4 on monday. test. test. test.
I didn't see the point in making a pool only to have to destroy it when the last 4 drives are added. The final setup will be 1 pool for the 12 drives, 2 vdevs in raidz2.

rskoss

Oct 9, 2020
there's also the Freenas/TNC hard drive burn in process - maybe some more learning there too. Short, Conveyance, Long, Blinux's handy dandy badblock scripty, Long... miles to go yet before you sleep! And before you say "But these are new drives!" :oops: - yeah precisely why you need to run the burn-in! ;)
This is the first I'm hearing of this. The next rabbit hole.

The ubuntu vm no longer powers on because the nvme is no longer passthrough. I don't see a way of removing it from the ubuntu vm.

Last edited:

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
This is the first I'm hearing of this. The next rabbit hole.

The ubuntu vm no longer powers on because the nvme is no longer passthrough. I don't see a way of removing it from the ubuntu vm.
did you try edit settings for the VM, scroll to the bottom and delete the pci device?

rskoss

Oct 9, 2020
did you try edit settings for the VM, scroll to the bottom and delete the pci device?
Oh - the x on the far right of the field. Duh. Sometimes I can be just too stupid to live.

Okay, ubuntu is alive and well. On to install TrueNAS.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Your suggestion of having a windows box available on my bench to plug in boards/drives, etc. is a good one. Maybe I could build one. Haha. I crack myself up.

I'll keep an eye on Craigslist for something decent.
I was busy for a couple days, looks like it was eventful for you too! I'd have had nothing to add on this anyway.

One thing I will mention for the future though, is that its handy to have a linux live USB on hand. Handy for all sorts of diagnostic stuff. If you aren't doing a secure wipe on a drive or something seriously esoteric, you won't usually need Parted Magic, most linux distributions will work.

You mentioned Manjaro a while back. Its a good choice for this. Manjaro works pretty well off a live stick, and you'll have the Arch Wiki (which is quite extensive) to draw on if you're trying to figure stuff out (Manjaro is just Arch Linux with some user friendly bits and bobs tacked on). There's also ways to run Windows live from a USB, but its nowhere near as easy as creating a live linux stick.

rskoss

Oct 9, 2020
Of course this can't be straightforward. <heavy sigh>. I have 12 drives showing up in TrueNAS, but only 11 are spinners. The 12th is the 20GB I gave TrueNAS when I created the VM.

I have ada0-ada7 - these are connected to the two SATA connections on the mobo.
Then there is da0, the 20GB.
Then da1-da3 - these are connected to the SAS connector on the mobo.

There are 2 SATA and 1 SAS device listed in ESXi->manage, and they are passed through.
I added these to TrueNAS when I created the VM.

Any ideas?

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Confirming that you did a pass-thru of the controllers (HBA+Intel)?

If you did, then you shouldn't get any drives showing up on ESXI side. This is why you needed the p3605 to present itself to ESXI as a datastore.