Help with homelab ideas

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

javve03

May 1, 2021
I have two servers. Each has one xeon cpu and one power supply, 8GB ram. I have 4 drive slots that I can use on each one. I have the option of an internal micro sd card for boot or internal usb 3 ports and a decent flash drive.
Do I keep them as is, or combine the two into one with dual cpu, 16GB ram, and redundant psu?
HPE DL380 G9 LFF 12 Bay (4 Drive Bays)
If I combined the one, I could sell it and get faster xeons, better fans, and 800 Watt power supplies. I could also get a raid card and a 12 drive backplane. These servers (for those unfamiliar) have an on board raid solution which would work with the 4 drives.
Other option is do as above but not sell, and have one 4 drive bay and one 12 drive bay (Or leave as 4 and just use larger drives.)
I plan to get a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB for PiHole.
To better help with the above, some of what I plan to do.
Proxmox (think may be the best option)
Snort (setup as IPS)
pfSense or OPNsense
NAS (Store movies, music, backups)
Plex server
Eventually want to run IP cameras. I have seen there is a couple nice open source options or go the Ubiquiti route with their cameras and controller.

Two or three game servers

I'm open to suggestions on other things that I could run as well. I still have to get other things like PoE switch, Router, etc.
Is there anything that is better ran outside a VM?
I realize that no matter what I do, I'm going to need more ram. I like to try to plan everything out, then make a list of things I would need. I'm hoping to elicit some friendly discussion so I as well as others can learn more. I got a degree in networking which basically says there is still a lot I don't know!