Help with dl160 g6 build, does not post

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Xhanth

Feb 3, 2014
I just came across these forums with hopes that anyone here can give me some insight into a problem I have with a new build I've been working on to replace my old s5000psl which age has begun to show. The board is a Proliant dl160 g6 and I got a good deal on it along with heatsinks included(heres where I got it from, offered the guy $50 and he took it) HP DL160 G6 System Board 608882 001 593347 001 Motherboard w Heatsinks | eBay

Alright, I'm using an older E-atx chassis to house it and I currently have one L5630 and only 2x2 gb of ram(micron 1333 registered ecc) since I wasn't entirely sure I was going to be able to get it to work. I figured out the pinout of the board to the extent of being able to power it on with a screw driver. Due to the 6pin fan headers all of my chassis fans have been wired to molex. The ram is correctly placed in the white slots closest to the only processor in there(processor 1). All I can get out of it is a blinking BMC light, spinning fans, and a button on the back of the board that can be pressed and it turns blue. I cannot get any video out of it and I have tried all kinds of different ram configurations, I borrowed ram from a similar server board and still no luck. Is there something that I'm missing to get this thing to post? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Diavuno

the 5630 is a three channel mem controller, dependin on the board it might need to be staggered differantly.

try removing the power, clock battery and ram 2nd cpu and anything else. wait 5 minutes.
install the button battery single ram stick closest to the cpu, try to power it up!

Xhanth

Feb 3, 2014
the 5630 is a three channel mem controller, dependin on the board it might need to be staggered differantly.

try removing the power, clock battery and ram 2nd cpu and anything else. wait 5 minutes.
install the button battery single ram stick closest to the cpu, try to power it up!

Already done. Have it striped down to one processor(in cpu1 as directed in hp's docs) and I have it down to one ram stick in the white slot closest to the processor, Reset the cmos countless times both through removing the battery or by using the hp maintenance jumper. Upon resetting the cmos it will power on as soon as AC is supplied which I assume is normal but it doesn't seem to fix the situation. I have tried using both different ram and a different processor out of a similar hp machine and still the same problem, no video. The monitor/cable isnt the problem either because I've tried about 5 different ones.

Oh and a note, most hp servers I've seen have fluctuating fan speeds during post which takes about 30 seconds to complete while the fans spin up to max then back down, I borrowed a 6 pin fan from another server to use on a header to see what happens and the fan spin ups but its at a constant speed and I left it for about 5 minutes and it was still spinning at that same speed.

I guess my main question is if this motherboard needs its front panel or backplane or a special kind of psu in order to function? I'm sure I'm not the first person to try to take a dl160 g6 and try to turn it into a regular e-atx tower server.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Have you tried using a 55xx processor instead of the 5630? If the BIOS is old enough then it won't recognize the 56xx series microcodes as valid and won't post. If it will post with a 5520 or something similar then just update the BIOS and you should be good to go with the 5630s.

Diavuno

Already done. Have it striped down to one processor(in cpu1 as directed in hp's docs) and I have it down to one ram stick in the white slot closest to the processor, Reset the cmos countless times both through removing the battery or by using the hp maintenance jumper. Upon resetting the cmos it will power on as soon as AC is supplied which I assume is normal but it doesn't seem to fix the situation. I have tried using both different ram and a different processor out of a similar hp machine and still the same problem, no video. The monitor/cable isnt the problem either because I've tried about 5 different ones.

Oh and a note, most hp servers I've seen have fluctuating fan speeds during post which takes about 30 seconds to complete while the fans spin up to max then back down, I borrowed a 6 pin fan from another server to use on a header to see what happens and the fan spin ups but its at a constant speed and I left it for about 5 minutes and it was still spinning at that same speed.

I guess my main question is if this motherboard needs its front panel or backplane or a special kind of psu in order to function? I'm sure I'm not the first person to try to take a dl160 g6 and try to turn it into a regular e-atx tower server.
sounds like you've done the right tests.

Have you tried using a 55xx processor instead of the 5630? If the BIOS is old enough then it won't recognize the 56xx series microcodes as valid and won't post. If it will post with a 5520 or something similar then just update the BIOS and you should be good to go with the 5630s.
i'd try this, if you dont have a 55xx chip, they can be had dirt cheap..., i think my last order was 35$ for 2x L5520

Xhanth

Feb 3, 2014

Xhanth

Feb 3, 2014
sounds like you've done the right tests.

i'd try this, if you dont have a 55xx chip, they can be had dirt cheap..., i think my last order was 35$ for 2x L5520
When I swapped processors from what I think was a GL360, i think it had an e5540 in it and that didn't work. But I'm not 100% on that but I will double check tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
you can use ILO to check operation of the board. I found when I had a dead CPU (E5620) - ilO worked fine but nothing else did.

Xhanth

Feb 3, 2014
you can use ILO to check operation of the board. I found when I had a dead CPU (E5620) - ilO worked fine but nothing else did.
ILO, I'm assuming that's "integrated lights out". The board didn't get shipped with that module. I can't say I've ever worked with ILO before but it's my understanding it's an rj-45 that you manage the board through a web interface from another pc.

The modules seem to be around 20 dollars for a guaranteed working one on ebay, for that I could just buy an e5520 to know for sure the processor isn't the issue. Unless, Is ILO crucial for the board to post?

Xhanth

Feb 3, 2014
When I swapped processors from what I think was a GL360, i think it had an e5540 in it and that didn't work. But I'm not 100% on that but I will double check tomorrow morning.
The processor I swapped it with was an E5606 which means i haven't tried a 5500 series xeon....so outdated microcode is a definite possibility. However, I thought dl160 g6 were only shipped with 56xx series? I'm having a hard time finding a definite release date on hp's website to see if there were older boards shipped before 56xx were released. The seller I got it from claimed it was a working pull. I will contact him and see what processor he had it in before it was pulled(assuming he was telling the truth)

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
The board will be trying to post and while doing so, all fans should be at full noise. If the fans are stuck here with no apparent control then you have to look closer. I know you have a great stack of dumb 12V fans but considering you are going from a S5000PSL (I have had a couple of these in my own server farm), you must have been lucky enough for someone to have wiped their configs or otherwise they too get shitty fast with the dual PSU's are missing, fans are missing and other peripherals they communicate with. Otherwise, you may not have realized how intelligent those boards are/were.

I have worked with these before while I was working for HP. Swapped many a board and have found some tricks. The CPU needs to be in first socket and RAM needs to be in first DIMM slot (run a single stick for now). Put a four-pin fan on the CPU header for that socket, check the pin-outs as these boards may have same issues the Intel's did in their generations were the headers changed pins.

Make sure you have no cards attached to sockets, all USB headers removed, KB only in the rear I/O panel.

The comments about the 55xx Vs 56xx are valid also, these shipped with both variants, contact seller and confirm full history of the board and how it was configured with what RAM and CPU.

Test with different RAM, these boards ARE fussy.

Just for the record, these boards are just like the S5000PSL, they were intended to be used in chassis designed for them.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Definitely don't go putting these boards in your own chassis! The Z400/Z600/Z800 workstation boards are far more friendly for that purpose!.

Sounds like you need to check for bent pins on the cpu slot! I forgot the ILO isn't included in the DL160 G6, shame! It helps work out problems quickly!

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
when you have 1366 to 2011 pins on the landing, its easy to drop something and bend a few, or try to insert a cpu incorrectly or you know stupid stuff folks do. Why the gen8 hp servers have improved the cpu tray to avoid this problem that cost them tons of motherboards!

Xhanth

Feb 3, 2014
Definitely don't go putting these boards in your own chassis! The Z400/Z600/Z800 workstation boards are far more friendly for that purpose!.

Sounds like you need to check for bent pins on the cpu slot! I forgot the ILO isn't included in the DL160 G6, shame! It helps work out problems quickly!
I didn't have any problems fitting it in an e-atx. All of the mounting holes aligned perfectly. The only problem was the UID light goes through the first expansion slot of the case but doesn't cause any shorts due to standoffs. And the only reason I didn't go for a workstation board like those was price point. I got this one plus the heatsinks for 60 bucks + a case I already have + the cost of ram and processors = very cheap upgrade from the s5000psl.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
I didn't have any problems fitting it in an e-atx. All of the mounting holes aligned perfectly. The only problem was the UID light goes through the first expansion slot of the case but doesn't cause any shorts due to standoffs. And the only reason I didn't go for a workstation board like those was price point. I got this one plus the heatsinks for 60 bucks + a case I already have + the cost of ram and processors = very cheap upgrade from the s5000psl.
Fitting it to the case is not the point we are trying to get across, it is that there is more to these boards than just connecting ant ATX power supply and it working. As I said, you must have been very lucky with your older S5000PSL.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
no doubt the $25 P4300G2 westmere boards are a killer deal. I just see it easier to buy a CTO model DL180 G6 for $179 shipped and all your own cpu/ram still!

Xhanth

Feb 3, 2014
The board will be trying to post and while doing so, all fans should be at full noise. If the fans are stuck here with no apparent control then you have to look closer. I know you have a great stack of dumb 12V fans but considering you are going from a S5000PSL (I have had a couple of these in my own server farm), you must have been lucky enough for someone to have wiped their configs or otherwise they too get shitty fast with the dual PSU's are missing, fans are missing and other peripherals they communicate with. Otherwise, you may not have realized how intelligent those boards are/were.

I have worked with these before while I was working for HP. Swapped many a board and have found some tricks. The CPU needs to be in first socket and RAM needs to be in first DIMM slot (run a single stick for now). Put a four-pin fan on the CPU header for that socket, check the pin-outs as these boards may have same issues the Intel's did in their generations were the headers changed pins.

Make sure you have no cards attached to sockets, all USB headers removed, KB only in the rear I/O panel.

The comments about the 55xx Vs 56xx are valid also, these shipped with both variants, contact seller and confirm full history of the board and how it was configured with what RAM and CPU.

Test with different RAM, these boards ARE fussy.

Just for the record, these boards are just like the S5000PSL, they were intended to be used in chassis designed for them.
I ordered an e5504 for dirt cheap that came in today. Didn't fix the problem. I realize now how finicky these boards can be when taken out of their comfort zone. As you said, I must have gotten extremely lucky with my s5000psl. I may just eat the return shipping cost and buy an easier to use motherboard later on after some more research.