Help with choosing drives on build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hometech99

Apr 18, 2018
Hi

"new" build for me. I havent built since Windows Home Server, which has Tyan board and 32bit processor, so starting new.

Supermicro X8DTN+ board
LSI 9211-8i IT mode
Supermicro SAS2826EL1 backplane SAS2X28 chip
Supermicro 2U case (12 drives)
Windows Sever 2016 datacenter .

What for? a lab for me to learn newer server/database/programming technologies & also home use for storage of photos, files, etc.

All set up with OS installed on drives connected to mobo.

Now to populate the storage bays.

Can I use 12GB/s HDDs in hopes of upgrading HBA and backplane when I see some good prices on SAS3 backplane/HBA?

I like the 6TB HGST drives- but unsure of exact model numbers, and whether my setup will support 4k, or if I can even use higher capacity drives currently.

I know.. "Google is your friend"- I worked at a search company in the 80's...but after not finding a sure answer for several days, I figured its time to get help.

Thanks.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Old motherboard but it will work if you already have it just make sure you are running 56xx series CPU not 55xx. Otherwise I would push you toward a LGA2011 board.

You wont find a spinning drive that will saturate 6Gbps and since the backplane is actually using 4 channels (one cable) @ 6Gbps you have a total of 24Gbps to the backplane. That is plenty until you get into a bunch of SSDs.

As for the forwards/backwards compatibility you are good to go. SAS1/2/3 will all work at the lowest common speed. SATA drives will work fine in there too you don't have to spend the extra money on SAS drive unless you really want to.

4k should be be fine I have 12x 8TB WD Reds which are Advanced Format 4k drives running in my SuperMicro 24 drive SAS2 expander.

hometech99

Apr 18, 2018
Old motherboard but it will work if you already have it just make sure you are running 56xx series CPU not 55xx. Otherwise I would push you toward a LGA2011 board.

You wont find a spinning drive that will saturate 6Gbps and since the backplane is actually using 4 channels (one cable) @ 6Gbps you have a total of 24Gbps to the backplane. That is plenty until you get into a bunch of SSDs.

As for the forwards/backwards compatibility you are good to go. SAS1/2/3 will all work at the lowest common speed. SATA drives will work fine in there too you don't have to spend the extra money on SAS drive unless you really want to.

4k should be be fine I have 12x 8TB WD Reds which are Advanced Format 4k drives running in my SuperMicro 24 drive SAS2 expander.
2x Intel Xeon X5680 3.33ghz 6.4 GT/s 12m Cache Hex Core CPUs

So I'm good for 4k drives then.

Helium y/n?

What about the product codes that vary by these features:
ISE = Instant Secure Erase

SE = Secure Erase

BDE or TCG Encryption

TCG FIPS = Encryption w/FIPS

Thank you so much!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Those CPUs will serve you fine for a while. Power hungry but they work. If you find that you don't need the horsepower the L5640 are lower power and cheap or down the road LGA2011 v1 and v2 is still DDR3 and has better idle power draw.

Helium drives are fine no downside just a fact of life to manufacture higher density drives.

As far as product codes. If you need the features or want to play with them then great but personally I don't see a need for it in a homelab environment.

Reactions: Joel

hometech99

Apr 18, 2018
Those CPUs will serve you fine for a while. Power hungry but they work. If you find that you don't need the horsepower the L5640 are lower power and cheap or down the road LGA2011 v1 and v2 is still DDR3 and has better idle power draw.

Helium drives are fine no downside just a fact of life to manufacture higher density drives.

As far as product codes. If you need the features or want to play with them then great but personally I don't see a need for it in a homelab environment.
Thanks..so which feature code is the generic type?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
I don't know what product line you are talking about but I would not be concerned about the feature codes. I would be looking at pricing. You may have to do more research or someone else may be able to suggest something.