Help with building workstation.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeepee1970

Feb 8, 2017
Hi,

Being from the Netherlands I am planning on building my workstation. I want to use it with unraid and use it as a nas, with plex and 2 Max 3 vm's.

Up untill now I have bought the following stuff:

2x xeon e 2650 v1 cpu
1x a way too large motherboard X9DR3-LN4F+ EE-ATX is larger than I anticipated. have to work with it now.

8x 8 Gb ecc memory. Suitable for my board.

A coolermaster cosmos 1000 case. Large enough for the board but still have to mod a lot to make it fit.

2 x arctic freezer i32 cpu coolers

I am looking for a proper psu for this build but need advice.
Also looking for a graphic card. Will have to look info that too. Will not play the laters games but decent fps is Nice without having to pay load of money.
With this graphics card I want to pass throughout the signal to another monitor together with passing through a mouse and keyboard.

Can anyone help me decide what kind of psu I need and what kind of graphics card would suit my needs.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
My opinion....

I think the general suggestion is for at least a 750watt power supply. That board requires 2 x 8-pin CPU power supply connections. I have used an EVGA Supernova 850 B1 with good results on a system with 2 x xeon E5-2670. Most seem to recommend an evga Supernova 750. I just ordered one for a second workstation / toy. Pretty sure it is available in the 220v or has voltage selector switch on back panel.

I like nVidia video cards. For general use and light / older gaming and even some more modern gaming, the 750 and 750 Ti cards work well. nVidia GTX 750 Ti video cards don't use much power (60watts max) but provide nice performance. Inexpensive. The GTX 750 is slightly less powerful, a little less expensive and consumes a little less power (55watts). Both have been solid performers for me, smooth, fast rendering and reliable. Both are available on ebay used for a reasonable price.

Last edited: