Help with 10GbE network setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HorizonXP

May 23, 2016
Hi folks,

Just bought a new house, and I'm in the process of planning out the home office set up. A lot of it will likely be overkill. :)

My plan is to have 2 racks in the basement furnace room to house all of the equipment and infrastructure. One will be a 6U rack to house the patch panel and hard infrastructure, and the other will be a 25U rack on wheels to house most of the equipment.

I'm going to be running Cat6A cabling throughout the house into the areas that need it. I'll run the cables up into the attic, and then thread them down into the walls. Several of these will be used for PoE-powered IP cameras (5) and WiFi APs (2).

1GbE will be fine for most of the devices. However, I'd like to have the following on 10GbE:
1) pfSense router
2) NAS
3) VMware lab
4) Thin-client desktop in upstairs office

I would use SFP+ and fibre connections between all of these.

1. I've been looking at several switches, but I think the Dell X1052P would probably fit my needs best. But since I have the rack space, I'm open to using several switches. Any suggestions, or am I good with my current choice?
2. Any ideas for WiFi APs? My current choice is the Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pros, 1 upstairs, and 1 in the basement.
3. For the pfSense router, would a SUPERMICRO SYS-5018A-MLTN4 1U with an Intel X520 SFP+ card be sufficient to support a 10GbE network?
4. For the thin-client desktop, I was planning to run an OM3 cable through the walls, and terminate them at a keystone jack at both ends. Then, I'd run another shorter OM3 patch cable into SFP+ connectors into the 10GbE switch, and an Intel X520 card in the desktop. Does this make sense, or is there a better option?

Any and all other suggestions would be helpful. I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible, so anything I can frankenstein from eBay is always great!

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
I think your choice would be great ! One thing I'd like to add is that SFP+ DAC cable is the optimal solution for 10G short-reach connection. Additional, it is the cost-effective solution for 10G application.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Why on earth does pfsense need a 10gbe link? Also, +1 on the unifi AP's. I have 3 in my two-level house. I recommend using zero handoff routing (so you don't need to specify distinct channels or SSIDs). As long as they are on the same layer-2 network that works great.

HorizonXP

May 23, 2016
Yes, I was hoping to use Zero Handoff. Glad to hear it works well.

I figured pfSense would need a 10GbE link to keep up during inter-VLAN routing. Is that not true? Or does it just tell machines where the machines are located on the first packet, and then everything is handled directly between the two of them after that?

Why on earth does pfsense need a 10gbe link? Also, +1 on the unifi AP's. I have 3 in my two-level house. I recommend using zero handoff routing (so you don't need to specify distinct channels or SSIDs). As long as they are on the same layer-2 network that works great.

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
I figured pfSense would need a 10GbE link to keep up during inter-VLAN routing. Is that not true? Or does it just tell machines where the machines are located on the first packet, and then everything is handled directly between the two of them after that?
If you are doing your inter-VLAN routing via pfSense, then yes, you'll be limited by pfSense's connection speed when doing large transfers between network segments.

If your hosts are on the same segment, however, they'll not use pfSense for those transfers.

aero

Apr 27, 2016
Regarding your choice of OM3 fiber....if you want to future-proof your installation then you may want to consider singlemode instead. OM3 is rated for 40Gbe only up to 100meters. What would your longest runs be? The cost difference between OM3 and singlemode, including transceivers should be minimal.

+1 on suggestion to use SFP+ DAC for local (not in walls, and <5m) connections

HorizonXP

May 23, 2016
Regarding your choice of OM3 fiber....if you want to future-proof your installation then you may want to consider singlemode instead. OM3 is rated for 40Gbe only up to 100meters. What would your longest runs be? The cost difference between OM3 and singlemode, including transceivers should be minimal.

+1 on suggestion to use SFP+ DAC for local (not in walls, and <5m) connections
So the single-mode cables do seem to be just as affordable. The longest run would be maybe 50ft, I'm not 100% sure. However, aren't the SFP+ transceivers for single-mode fibre more expensive?