Help! Voltaire 4036 does not enable Ports

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sven Gmelin

Jan 10, 2020
Hi,

I bought the Switch on eBay. I factory resettet it, installed the latest FW (3.9.1) and configured everything regarding the documentation. But it does not enable the ports. I connected Melanom Connectix-3 Adapters on Windows and vSphere, but both do not show a link. The cables are fibre and will be recognized and if I use the cables for a P2P connection between two Hosts, all seems fine. Ports are up and running. The port show command shows "polling" and "training" status. I do not find any command to force a port up.
This is cable config show:

Port 1:Length 7m Vendor Name: FINISARCORP Code: QSFP+ Vendor PN: FCBR410QB1C07-HP Vendor Rev: A Vendor SN: W04A67Q
Port 2:Length 7m Vendor Name: FINISARCORP Code: QSFP+ Vendor PN: FCBR410QB1C07-HP Vendor Rev: A Vendor SN: W05AHDC

SM is activated and running. I changed some settings to provoke any reaction, but nothing. This is my sm config:

subnet manager info is:
sweep_interval: 15
max_wire_smps: 16
lmc: 4
max_op_vls: 5
transaction_timeout: 150
head_of_queue_lifetime: 16
leaf_head_of_queue_lifetime: 16
packet_life_time: 18
sminfo_polling_timeout: 5000
polling_retry_number: 12
reassign_lids: enable
babbling_port_policy: disable
routing_engine_names: minhop
log_flags: 7
force_link_speed: 15
polling_rate: 30
mode: enable
state: master
sm_priority: 4

It's the only switch and the only sm. Only those two Ports are connected you can see the cable info from. Any idea??

necr

Dec 27, 2017
There’s ibportstate command that forces width and link speed on IB ports, to me it looks like there’s something wrong with link negotiation. Port state should be Initializing when the link is already there, and become Active when SM communicates with the new host. Do you have any DACs around?

Sven Gmelin

Jan 10, 2020
There’s ibportstate command that forces width and link speed on IB ports, to me it looks like there’s something wrong with link negotiation. Port state should be Initializing when the link is already there, and become Active when SM communicates with the new host. Do you have any DACs around?
I have only the Cables, I mentioned. Interesting thing: System tells me that:

LinkSpeedSupported:..............2.5 Gbps or 5.0 Gbps or 10.0 Gbps

But it's a 40/56Gb Switch, right?
Even if I "force" the link on ESXi to 10Gb, it will not come up.

If I connect both ports on the Adapter, both ports come up with 40Gb.

Last edited:

Sven Gmelin

Jan 10, 2020
Interestingly, if I connect two hostports with a cable, the link comes up immediately. If I connect two switch ports with a cable, they remain dark. No LED, no anything... Cable config recognized the cable...
Pretty strange. It's not the cable, it's not the switch itself (at least the physics seems to be OK, it's not the hostadapters... Glad for any suggestions...

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
even on 6.5 you need IB drivers...
and what about connecting one switch port to another? Does that link?
And usually you should configure the interface speed on the switch (not on the client) with sth like
"run the following commands from your linux box (or on the switch):
ibportstate <yourswitchlid> <port> speed 5
ibportstate <yourswitchlid> <port> espeed 1
ibportstate <yourswitchlid> <port> reset"

Sven Gmelin

Jan 10, 2020
even on 6.5 you need IB drivers...
and what about connecting one switch port to another? Does that link?
And usually you should configure the interface speed on the switch (not on the client) with sth like
"run the following commands from your linux box (or on the switch):
ibportstate <yourswitchlid> <port> speed 5
ibportstate <yourswitchlid> <port> espeed 1
ibportstate <yourswitchlid> <port> reset"
Links between the switch ports are up, with 10Gb. espeed option does not exist on the switch.

necr

Dec 27, 2017
Are you 100% sure your cards are in IB mode?
Paste ibstat output from your Win hosts, that’ll also display firmware on the cards. I’d also try running SM on the cards instead of the switch.