Help to select a few components for Xeon E5

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xavierd

Jun 6, 2016
Hi Everyone :)

After reading for a few months I decided to jump and build again a home server as I missed to be playing with hardware and virtualization as I was used too.

The usage will be mainly for
.Fileserver -> Freenas with zfs, still deciding if raiz2 or a few mirrors.
.Plex
.Pfsense home router and vpn
. Small vms for some network apps and testing

At first I was thinking to take the xeon D 1537 from Supermicro but it's too convenient and will remove the fun to build the server :)

I have been looking into parts and I was thinking to take
. Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F
. Xeon E5 2630L v4 (power consumption should't be too high on normal usage regarding the xeon d 1537 right ?)
. 4 x 32GB DDR4 ecc
. NIC 2 sfp+

In order to get the price as down as possible I was thinking to buy the ram and nic on ebay.

About the ram, I see quite some ddr4 ecc but price of the 32Gb goes between 160 and 200$. Any recommendation of which one I should pick ? How I can know in advance it will be compatible with the motherboard ? I was looking the information from Supermicro but they only list a couple of models.

About the nic, I would like something which will allow me to test srv-iov, tcp-offload etc... Any cheap model from Mellanox&other which supports those functions and has sfp+ ports instead of utp ?

Regarding the integrated SAS on the motherboard, this will be my first time using this type of connector. In order to connect the controller to Sata drives, the cable I need is a SFF-8643 or Sff-8644 ? Any difference about those ?

Finally to install the hypervisor should I use a small sata ssd of 32GB or a serverdom sdd of the same capacity is a better option ?

Thanks in advance for your help with all those questions.