Help - Slower Than Expected SAS3 HBA Benchmarks

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheDave

Feb 5, 2017
Greetings all.

I have recently upgraded my storage hardware to include a new SAS3 HBA (9300-8e) from LSI along with an Intel SAS3 expander (RES3TV360) but have been experiencing what I would consider a low bandwidth situation. For testing I have a single SSD drive connected (Samsung 850 Pro) that is connected to the expander via fanout cable, and the expander is connected back to the HBA.

When attempting to run a copy operation with the Samsung as the destination drive, the copy speed hovers right around 360MB a second. The source drive in this scenario is another samsung 850 pro connected directly to the systems motherboard via Sata3 port.

Next, I ran a copy operation with the Samsung drive connected to the expander as the source, and the destination drive as a direct connected Toshiba SSD. The speec for this operation topped out at about 315MB a second.

After running the tests through the expander, I disconnected everything and plugged all of the drives directly into the motherboard. Re-running the same tests, all drives hovered around 520MB a second.

Unfortunately I will not be able to test with a drive directly attached to the HBA until tomorrow when a new batch of cables arrive, but I was not expecting this level of speed after the upgrade from SAS2 hardware.

If it helps to identify the issue, the other hardware in this setup consists of an Intel i7-5960X on an ASRock board. The other PCI-E devices in the system are 1 nvidia GT730 for basic video output, and an intel 10Gb NIC. All of the devices are in at minimum x8 slots. One or two are in x16 slots. Closest device to the CPU is the intel NIC, followed by the GPU 2 slots down, followed by the HBA on the bottom x8 slot.

I would greatly appreciate any help. If it turns out my expectations were misaligned and I need different hardware to get full SSD speed through this setup, I would welcome any opinions or observations about other hardware. For now I'm going to piddle with the PCI-E order just to rule that out as a potential problem.

Thanks,
D

TheDave

Feb 5, 2017
Thanks for the reply. According to MSM, the negotiated link speed is 12Gbps for the SSD. Attached is a screengrab of the stats on the Logical Drive tab.

Attachments

TheDave

Feb 5, 2017
No, you are correct. The 850 Pro is just a 6Gbps drive but for whatever reason it is reporting as a 12Gbps negotiated speed.

I have since connected a bunch of other disks that are non-SSD 6tb drives for further testing. They are all performing at the top speed I've seen them achieve; about 150MB. MSM is also reporting those as having a 12Gbps link speed as well.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Doh, I misread the op, sorry, for some daft reason I thought you said you plugged the disks directly into the controller, not the motherboard. Yes, @Terry Kennedy is spot on, another good catch Terry, that's two today bud, it's the expander that's reporting the negotiated link speed to the controller as being 12Gbps :)

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Whats the point of using 12Gb sas hardware when only connecting sata devices ?? 12Gb SAS will flex its muscles when you plug in proper 12Gb sas ssd's :)

TheDave

Feb 5, 2017
I'm not looking to maximize the speed for a single drive. My use case is one where I want to maximize the speed of two drives and thus 2 6Gb SSDs running full speed is the goal. As an update though, I returned the 9300-8e card and picked up the 9305-16i. With no other changes in the hardware chain, I am now achieving a solid 450MB/sec using SSD through the expander. The codename of the 8e was Fury and the name for the 16i is Cutlass.

Anywho, I'm happy enough. This will suit my needs pretty well.

Thanks for the help and suggestions,
D