Help Silence SuperMicro Server Fan Array

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kodi

Aug 5, 2020
You literally have to crack open the old fan shrouds, remove the fans, then pry open the new "Green"(at least they were to me) fan shrouds, remove said fans, and put new fans in old fans shrouds.

The wiring is the same, you need to be careful in removing the old fans to not damage anything too terribly much.
The grey ones are no problem (they pop right open), I just don't want to break the green ones :)

EDIT: yeah, just figured that out - the green one needs much more force. Thanks for the help, now I just need to cut the grey shroud to fit the new fan :(

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
The grey ones are no problem (they pop right open), I just don't want to break the green ones :)

EDIT: yeah, just figured that out - the green one needs much more force. Thanks for the help, now I just need to cut the grey shroud to fit the new fan :(
i used some metal shears to make them fit. It's OK as there are still screws that keep everything in place.

kodi

Aug 5, 2020
i used some metal shears to make them fit. It's OK as there are still screws that keep everything in place.
I actually ended with removing one of the fins on the San Ace fan - the one that needs to be removed is the one that doesn't hold anything and the shrouds are left intact.
Compared to what was before - even with only two fans changed it's just like night and day - I can be in the same room without noise cancelling headphones. For comparison I launched the second identical machine with old fans... Yeah... I think I'll be looking for 4 more of green ones :)
I was trying to find the fan only in mouser, farnell and digikey but no dice :(

Eta_Carinae

Feb 24, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
If anyone can explain to me how to open those shrouds (especially the parts that are holding the plugs) I will be very grateful.
The green shrouds for the 0074l4? A butterknife can do it by lodging it in the clip part and then twist to the right. The cream shrouds are a little harder, so I used a sharper knife to get under the clip.

The 0074l4 fans won't fit in the 0126L4 caddies unless you take to them with a dremel.

mJ0QxP9.jpg

Reactions: 2bluesc

kodi

Aug 5, 2020
The green shrouds for the 0074l4? A butterknife can do it by lodging it in the clip part and then twist to the right. The cream shrouds are a little harder, so I used a sharper knife to get under the clip.

The 0074l4 fans won't fit in the 0126L4 caddies unless you take to them with a dremel.

View attachment 17646
That's exactly what I did! Thanks :D

And yeah - you need an eye protection - this plastic is a nasty one.

chelmi

May 19, 2021
For what it's worth: You can buy the Sanyo Denki fans alone, reference 9G0812P1F03 on AliExpress.
No need to crack open the green housing then and they are cheaper that way. Still need to dremel out the piece though.

kodi

Aug 5, 2020
For what it's worth: You can buy the Sanyo Denki fans alone, reference 9G0812P1F03 on AliExpress.
No need to crack open the green housing then and they are cheaper that way. Still need to dremel out the piece though.
I found only a handful of fans there - usually used ones for €20 or similar. Without the shroud they are selling for around 12-15€, but you have to be very careful to ask for the ones with the plug (the plug itself is pretty finicky to crimp and costs around 1.5€). New 0074l4 costs around 17€ + VAT in Europe. So you can go the cheap route and buy FAN-0082L4, which you can usually buy for 4-5€, which uses the same fan, but with different plug, adding the plug makes that around 6.50€ per fan, but if you don't have access to the proper crimper - you are better off just cutting the original plug and soldering it to the fan. Is it worth the time? For me it was (60 euro in the pocket for ~2 hours of work :)).

chelmi

May 19, 2021
I could not find any 0074L4 at 17 + VAT, would have gone with these otherwise I guess.
Could also not find FAN-0082L4 for the 4-5€ you suggest, would be willing to do the soldering but can't find them other than on eBay for 20€ or so which is then not worth it.
Where did you buy yours ?

kodi

Aug 5, 2020
I could not find any 0074L4 at 17 + VAT, would have gone with these otherwise I guess.
Could also not find FAN-0082L4 for the 4-5€ you suggest, would be willing to do the soldering but can't find them other than on eBay for 20€ or so which is then not worth it.
Where did you buy yours ?
0074L4
0082L4:
Probably as soon as it will be posted STH effect will kick in and they will be out of stock :D

chelmi

May 19, 2021
Ha, thanks !
Too bad there are only 2 0074L4 in stock, I need 3 ;)

The 082L4 are used parts, not too sure I feel confident about this, did you put used parts in your servers ?

kodi

Aug 5, 2020
Ha, thanks !
Too bad there are only 2 0074L4 in stock, I need 3 ;)

The 082L4 are used parts, not too sure I feel confident about this, did you put used parts in your servers ?
Yes. Some of those 08274s I got from that source didn't have a scratch - maybe new/old stock or perfectly refurbished. Two had a little scratches suggesting they were removed from the server. Not a single speck of dust on any of them. If they were used, they were properly cleaned. If you have a proper fan monitoring on your board there is nothing to worry about, tbh. If the broken fan will not raise the alarm, the temp sensors will.

chelmi

May 19, 2021
I ended up buying 3 new 9G0812P1F03 on ebay, 16 € a piece with the correct PWM connector. Well, I could choose the connector from a list and they had the correct one on the list, only time will tell if it was indeed the correct one.
Anyhow, worst case I know how to use a soldering iron so not too afraid of reusing the ones I have if needed.