Help selecting new LSI raid controller

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ncaahockeyfan

Nov 29, 2020
I have been running an SAS 84016E for twelve years with ten 2tb drives. The controller is connected to 16 ICY DOCK bays and servers run a TYAN S5512WGM2NR motherboard.

With all the "free" cloud based storage, I have not really had much need to upgrade - and it's not really worth adding additional 2tb drives. However, with Google recently announcing new limits and subscriptions, I have decided it is time to get my server ready for additional/new drives.

My main issue with the 84016E is its 2tb HDD size limit. This is a home server (WHS 2011) that will primarily store multimedia files backed up from all of the family's, and extended family's, devices. We have gigabit internet and a full Unifi system to manage traffic.

I would prefer the easiest drop-in upgrade. Based on some cursory eBay and Google searches, it looks like my 2 best options might be either the:

SAS 9750-16i4e

or the

SAS 9280-16i4e

Any recommendations on these two or other suggestions?

many thanks

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
9750 is the (now EOL) 3ware line - and you won't be able to drop in with your existing drives.
The 9280 series is the LSI MegaRAID controller - so moving to this would mean you could keep upgrading to faster controllers in the future without having to migrate data.

Are you using these cards as a RAID controller? Or are you just passing drives through and letting the software handle copies of your data for redundancy?

ncaahockeyfan

Nov 29, 2020
9750 is the (now EOL) 3ware line - and you won't be able to drop in with your existing drives.
The 9280 series is the LSI MegaRAID controller - so moving to this would mean you could keep upgrading to faster controllers in the future without having to migrate data.

Are you using these cards as a RAID controller? Or are you just passing drives through and letting the software handle copies of your data for redundancy?
Thanks for the timely response!

I have eight matching 2tb drives in RAID6. I previously had two random drives installed to try some things with, but they have since been removed.

I also run a pair of Intel 120bg SSD in RAID1 for my WHS2011, but they are controlled by the motherboard's SAS2008.

I ended up ordering an SAS 9280-16i4e that has a 30 day return policy. Since it uses the same internal connectors as my 84016E, what are the odds I can simply install the new card, plug in the drives, and have the MegaRAID software recognize the existing array?

The 84016E and my motherboard's SAS2008 are the only hardware RAID controllers I have worked with - I have no experience migrating/swapping to a different controller.

Any tips on doing this? thanks again