Help Requested - Fibre Channel SAN Setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Z3R0

Sep 5, 2018
Florida, USA
Not my first time posting, but first thread I've started. Sorry if it's in the wrong category.

Hardware:
All Dell EMC². Product names unknown.
2× CX-ATA-DAE-FD 100-560-521
2× CX-2PDAE-FD 100-560-321

My brother acquired some old Dell EMC² hardware that we intend to turn into a small SAN for experimentation. We've run into a bit of a road block since we're inexperienced with fibre channel. We're also unable to find any documentation on these systems. We're hoping someone here is experienced in these systems.

Although we've found HDDSC2 to SFP+ cables, we're having trouble with the HDDSC. I've looked up the pinouts of both connectors and they seem identical. I'm not sure if the software protocol is different between the two.

Where would I be able to find information on these? Dell seems to have the entire EMC branch cut out to exclusively EMC customers.

Also, could anyone provide any tips on setting these up?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
DAE is usually just a disk shelf. But to be fair I also don’t know the different parts that well, are you sure you have the SAN controller ?

Z3R0

Sep 5, 2018
Florida, USA
I'm fairly certain that we don't have the SAN controller that would has been designed for these devices. I've been trying to plan out and build a SAN controller for these devices, but the confusion on the connectors has us held up. I've got a pair of PowerEdge 2800 servers. So from what I've found so far, any of the cards that may work for these devices won't have any issues with the servers I've got.

If there's any reason this may not work, I'm all ears.