Help/Recommendation: Dead PSU replacement

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Autx Buckeye

Aug 21, 2018
Let me start by saying: MODs please forgive is this is in the wrong location.

During the course of a rack move/cleanup my pws-203-1h died on my Frankenstein 1U sc-512L pfsense box. I've got it operation now with an old ps2 sized PSU. So now I'm left with a number of options all around the same price.

current mobo/cpu/ram: X9SCA-F/e3-1220v2/24GB ECC UDIMM (I know overkill for pfsense but dont have anywhere else to use it).
so its an ATX sized mobo with a 20 pin mobo and 8pin cpu.

The noise with the original PSU the pws-0055 was too much which is why I bought the 203-1h.

so here are my options as I see it in my price range which is as close to 0 as possible.
  1. Just buy a direct replacement PSU - pws-203-1h
  2. Find a case with the pws-203-1h in it (only saw 1 or 2 on ebay in my price range)
  3. Find another 1U case all together with a quiet PSU
    • Currently looking at one with a pws-351-1h but an X10 mobo- I hope that one is quiet (I think these are the SYS-5018D-MF)
    • Another option with the 203-1h psu but it would require an mATX mobo (cse-510ft-203b)
  4. Just replace the entire box with something else entirely - must be rackable
  5. Find a 2U case and rails (this currently looking like the most expensive option)
so good folks of the ServeTheHome forums... I turn to yall for recommendations suggestions. Am I missing something obvious?

audiophonicz

Jan 11, 2021
Im confused, isnt this just a generic 1U/Flex PSU? If so, I love my FSP FlexGuru. Whisper quiet and modular.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
What's the power draw of our system? Could you get by with something like a PicoPSU (I don't know what kind of wattage they support these days)? It would require a power brick, but that also be put inside the 1U chassis if it's thin enough.

audiophonicz

Jan 11, 2021
Could you get by with something like a PicoPSU (I don't know what kind of wattage they support these days)? It would require a power brick, but that also be put inside the 1U chassis if it's thin enough.
They can do 160w but last i checked i couldnt find one that was a horizontal pcb at the correct angle that wouldnt hit the ram. The authentic minibox brand ones are vertical pcb and wouldnt fit in my 1u chassis. (And this chassis the standoffs were so low it wouldnt fit a itx with a M.2 slot on the back.)

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
They can do 160w but last i checked i couldnt find one that was a horizontal pcb at the correct angle that wouldnt hit the ram. The authentic minibox brand ones are vertical pcb and wouldnt fit in my 1u chassis. (And this chassis the standoffs were so low it wouldnt fit a itx with a M.2 slot on the back.)
Hmmm...could you use a 24-pin ATX extension cable between the Pico and the MB?

audiophonicz

Jan 11, 2021
If the header positioned in a way its not going to lay ontop of something else, thatd prolly work. Wrap it in some kapton. Block off the psu slot with a piece of sheet metal with a hole for the barrel jack. Thats how i run my nas, minus the extension. I can say the 160w pico will run 4x SSDs in a hotswap bay, a 9206-16e, and a x520-da2 no problem.