help needed in finding a redundant PSU for a dual socket 4U server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lpallard

Aug 17, 2013
Hey guys, long time no posting here!

So I have been looking at replacing the power supply on my main virtualizatuion server for some time now and I would like to go for a redundant setup to reduce the potential downtime asssociated with failing PSU and especially to give me some time to cleanly shutdown the server should a PSU failure occur.

I have looked into actual power consumption with my SmartUPS (APC) and it seems that idle (light processing with maybe 3 or 4 cores working out of 12) the usage is around 205W. I tried using "stress" to have all 12 cores work at 100%, power usage went up to 285W.

I am comfortable with the idea of installing a 350-400W PSU but I'd like to hear from the pros! I am not planning to add much hardware to this server with the exception of a future hotswap enclosure for the SAS drives and a 10GB NIC. Other than that, I am not planning to add more drives to it (already have 2 15krpm SAS drives hosting proxmox).

Now the real deal is finding a PSU that would match my requirements for a decent price. The motherboard is a Supermicro H8DCL-iF equipped with 2X hexa-cores Opteron 4330 CPU's (95w TDP each). Case is a Norco RPC-470 (4U). I currently use a Corsair HX1050 (1000W) ATX PSU but as you can see, 1000W >>> 285W !!!!

So the PSU would need:

-To be redundant (double or triple redundancy)
-Provide enough power (350-400W?)
-Have 2 CPU power cables (thats tough to find..)
-Be 100% compatible with Supermicro motherboard.

For these reasons, I am strongly leaning toward a supermicro PSU but their PSU matrix is .... Hmmm hard to read.

The SP762-TS seems to be a viable option with 3x 380W modules (PWS-0050). The SP-602TS seems also a viable option with 600W modules but may be a bit oversized..

Also, would you trust used on ebay?

Looking forward to some great input!
Thanks guys!

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
I'm going to assume you're using this in a house and you probably don't have redundant power sources from multiple power companies.

With that assumption, I'd get something like this Open Box: Rosewill FORTRESS-450 450W Continuous @50C, Intel Haswell Ready, 80 PLUS PLATINUM, ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92, SLI/CrossFire Ready, Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com
and this 15cm 2x 4 Pin Molex to 8 Pin ATX EPS12V Power Supply Converter Cable - Newegg.com

I've never had problems with third party power supplies on my supermicro board (X8SIE-F).

lpallard

Aug 17, 2013
Nice suggestions but what about redundancy? To answer the FMA1394 no I don't have multiple power sources but the server is connected to a decent UPS.

I realize redundant PSU will not give me redundant power but at least will provide ability to keep running for some time should a module fail.

lpallard

Aug 17, 2013
PSUs are very reliable. Power distribution boards are less so. You'll probably decrease your reliability with redundant PSUs at home.
Ive learnt something new today! ;)

You can rock two ups on different circuits to increase uptime!
I already have 2 UPS'es and each is connected to a different breaker but we have so manu power outages here (QUebec) that I'd need a 5kVA UPS to ensure real uptime.... :D

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I'm not sure I agree that redundant PSUs are not worth it or that the PDB reliability is so low that it makes the exercise worthless. However, redundant power designs are pretty purpose-built for the chassis they run in and there is no real "generic" approach like the standard ATX PSU mount spec.

For example, Supermicro's PSUs are pretty customized to their chassis. They use a custom "receiver" to slide them into and a Power Distribution Board to manage power across the two CPUs. Getting them to mount and work correctly in a Norco chassis is a dubious undertaking. You could almost certainly buy a whole new (well - used) Supermicro 4U chassis including the PSUs for less than you'd spend trying to retrofit it.

If you want to stick with the RPC-470 then I'd stick with a good, rock solid, non-redundant ATX PSU. If you really want redundant PSUs then consider replacing the chassis - take a look through the "great deals" section and you can find a few recent ones that might still be available (or could be easily matched).

lpallard

Aug 17, 2013
I was initially also under the impression a redundant PSU was "reliable" being what it is... But Im not an expert so!

Attached is a simple sketch of what I initially had (in white on the right side) and in blue what I was going to do.

With the blue sketch, everything is redundant except the main panel of the house where the electricity comes from the utility... Obviously I cant have redundant power sources !!

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I am willing to sell the Norco case (brand spanking new, not even dusty!) but I'd need a Supermicro enclosure what doesnt include 24 drive caddies because this is a virtualization server and doesnt need HDD hotswap capability (only 4 at most)..

I thought finding a ATX "sized" redundant PSU would be easy but no. Maybe I keep my Corsair HX PSU, it has a warranty of 7 years.

lpallard

Aug 17, 2013
About five years ago I tried this with a Norco RPC 470 and a Sparkle redundant PSU on ebay. It resulted in an electrical fire. I no longer try anything similar.
How could this happen? You had a short or what? Was it because it was a used PSU or because of the combination case/PSU?

I am leaning toward keeping the reliable proven and well designed Corsair PSU until I upgrade this machine in several years. After all everything is working fine so why risk it?

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Keeping the corsair would be wise. I've read almost every single Corsair PSU review that Johnnyguru does, and he has nothing bad to say about them.

Reactions: lpallard

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I am leaning toward keeping the reliable proven and well designed Corsair PSU until I upgrade this machine in several years. After all everything is working fine so why risk it?
Good move. That Corsair HX is a rock, can't break it. Running it at <20% load probably wastes a few watts. But it also doesn't even come close to stressing components designed to actually carry 1,000watts. Cool and quiet with high quality components leads to long PSU life.

Reactions: lpallard

lpallard

Aug 17, 2013
Now that the virtualization server is case "closed" you guys got me worried about the supermicro 2U enclosure I ordered from Unix surplus last summer and has twin redundant PSU's..

Do I risk a fire? I'd like to know how Patrick had this electrical fire ...

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
No fire risk with Supermicro PSUs, redundant or otherwise. They are all UL and well designed.

Patrick's fire probably had more to do with Patrick (and workmanship) than the redundant PSU. ;)

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
How could this happen? You had a short or what? Was it because it was a used PSU or because of the combination case/PSU?

Just run the corsair. My 1000 or 1200 whatever it is, the fan doesnt even ever turn on, lol. These things last forever.

lpallard

Aug 17, 2013
Yep. On my HX1050 the fan never runs... The PSU is so oversized its cooling itself passively! Plus if I ever decide to build a GPU render farm with it (like I initially wanted) then the horsepower will be available.

Thanks guys for the precious help, once again saved by STH!!!