Help needed: Controller impending failure data error S.M.A.R.T. error on HGST 800 GB SAS3 SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
Hello everyone,

yesterday I received a HGST 800GB SAS3 SSD ( HUSMM8080ASS200 ) used from eBay.
HGST 800 GB SSD Festplatte 2.5 Zoll SAS HUSMM8080ASS200 P/N 0B28589 | eBay

It went into my FreeNAS Box and instantly an error showed.

Specs of the FreeNAS box: Supermirco X10-SRi-F, Avago SAS9300-8i (formerly LSI), Supermicro SC846 with SAS3 Backplane (LSI SAS3x40)

In Windows I was not able to query the drive via CrystalDiskInfo, as it shows up as a drive, but it is not visible in CrystalDiskInfo...

The output of smartctl is attached as a picture...
The error is: SMART Health Status: CONTROLLER IMPENDING FAILURE DATA ERROR RATE TOO HIGH [asc=5d, ascq=22]

I tried to ask aunty google, but did not find anything that I found usefull...

Could enyone tell me if I should contact the seller for a replacement, or if the point of failure is located at the controller / sas3 backplane?SMART.JPG

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
This isn't one of those drives that spanners everything because it's formatted with 520byte sectors is it? SMART messages aside, being visible as a drive but not usable is a common symptom of drives with 520b sectors as many people in the forum sticky have shown.

(This is just a guess as I've never seen this error before and the drive may be truly fubar but it's worth giving it a prod with sg_scan to have a look-see)

Reactions: Kristian

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I guess its a drive issue - if you google it it happens...
Just put it on a another HBA to see whether it persists (sas2 is also fine to check smart)

usually the seller is quite responsive so I'd just contact them for getting it swapped.

Reactions: Kristian