Help modding/silencing a Supermicro PWS-1k21p-1R PSU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nathann

Apr 19, 2017
Ive been having trouble trying to get a Supermicro PWS-1k21p-1R to run silent.

Ive removed the two joined oem fans and replaced them with a 40mm noctua powered by the motherboard.

My issue is that when powered up it will run for about 5 seconds, beep then shut off. Is there any way to stop the fan failure protection? Help would be very appreciated.

Tritnaha

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
I would just replace the PSU's with PWS-920P-SQ. Sure they're a bit expensive, but also require no modifications nor do they make any noise (yes, they're really that quiet)

Reactions: T_Minus

Apolinar Zaragoza

Aug 24, 2017
Does anyone have a link or video to how quiet the PWS-920P-SQ are? I'm interested in getting a quieter solution for a new case I just bought. Thank you.

nathann

Apr 19, 2017
I ended up pulling out the whole power supply assembly and put in a sfx psu. Completely silent now :)

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
my experience is the same.. the -"SQ" PSUs are almost silent. i can only hear them if I put my ear 3-4" away from the rear. the 920 is a bit pricier though occasionally you can find them for about $70. if your PDB can take them the 1000/1200W version of the "SQ" PSU is often cheaper; and some claim even quieter than the 920.

Bigchew

Aug 26, 2019
Did any one ever figured out what color wire Was What on the Supermicro PWS-1K21P-1R (Loud Fan Version)..lol. I have Repaired Electronics All of my life & Modding This Fan to be as Quiet as the 100$ ea 920w SQ Models is a Easy mod But i Cant Find out what Wire Color is the 12v+ ..I Assume Red as Most 12v circuit Are But is may also be Yellow & with the psu being made like it is i cant just plug up the power to test witch is how we always do it So Any Pointers or any one know what i half to do to test it?? Thanks