[Help me...] Planning a new home network

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

The-Ghost

Jul 1, 2014
Northern Ontario, Canada
Basics...

New (to me) house/first time home over, ~900sqdt 2.5bdrm, semi-detached home, 2 levels plus a mostly finished basement. Would like to do wireless and wired networking through out the house. Struggling a bit on what Router/Switch/AP's to choose. Budget is somewhat flexible trying to stay under $1000.00 cad

Current Devices:
Desktop PC (wired)
2 Laptops (wired/wireless)
1 Microsoft Surface Pro (wireless)
BlackBerry z10 (wireless)
PS3 (wired)
Nintendio Wii (wireless)
Smart TV (probably a Visio M series) (wired/wireless)

Planned additions:
At least one VOIP desktop phone
Asterisk PBX
At least 1 wireless VOIP Handset
Storage server
a couple of IP Cameras
Vmware Lab for VCP (C6100 or a stack of boxes)

Im Starting from scratch cable wise, theres nothing there, I plan to do the following:
2 cat6 + 1 rg6 to each bedroom (pulled up the attic, and down the interior walls)
1 cat6 for an AP in the hallway outside the berooms
2-4 cat6 + 1 rg6 for the living room
2-4 cat6 + 1 rg6 for the basement rec room
2 cat6 drops to the dining room
1 Cat6 to the Kitchen

Total = 22 cat6 and 5 rg6 drops

I likely won't be using all of the drops at the same time, but id rather pull more then i need vs crawl into the attic again.

Equipment selection:

Switching: 1x Cisco SG-200-26P (12 POE Ports)
Access Point(s): 1x Cisco WAP561 a/b/g/n 2.4&5GHz
Router: 1x Cisco RV320 Dual Gigabit WAN VPN Router or Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite.

Other then the AP right off the bat i wont be needing many POE capable ports, but the difference in cost now vs buying multiple POE injectors later is more cost effective in the long term.

TL;DR:
Bought a house, running cable, need to buy new networking equipment.

Mr. F

Sep 5, 2011
I went through a very similar setup, though I set a far lower budget for myself.

I ran (am still running, actually) Cat6, 2-4 drops to each outlet depending on if I needed PoE in the room. I also ran cat6 for all of my PoE network cameras (hikvision). In the end the Cat6 was
a lot tougher to run due to the thicker gauge and stiffer nature, but I'm glad I did it since the heavier gauge wire should perform better for long PoE runs. For working with Cat6 I highly recommend a set of electricians scissors and a good quality stripping tool.

For my POE switch I went with the Netgear M4100-D10-POE. It has 8 POE ports, 2 gigabit uplink ports (Base-T or SFP), full web-based management, lifetime warranty and most importantly (for me) it is fanless. It was also only $120 when I bought it, so I couldn't pass it up. A lot of people are down on Netgear equipment, but I've been using this for months and I recommend it to anyone who asks me for a PoE switch suggestion.

For my network switch I'm using an HP 1800-24G. I was able to get it cheap and it's a great switch as far as I'm concerned. We have several at work and have never had an issue.

I'm using an old Juniper NS50 firewall as a router. It's old and out of date, but I feel that it's better than most consumer gear and it's been working great for me.

Using a mix of Apple and Ubiquiti gear for wireless. I've always had great experiences with Ubiquiti for wireless, but I am annoyed by their non-standard PoE. Their prices are almost always better than other vendors as well.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I just installed my first Ubiquiti AP AC. It is awesome.

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
There's no need for Cat6:

- Cat6 is more expensive. Not just for the cable, but for other components such as patch panels, keystone jacks, etc.
- Cat5e works just fine for 1Gb ethernet at full distance, and even 10Gb for most home-length runs.
- Cat5e is much easier to properly run and terminate. Cat6 is far less tolerant of mistakes when doing punchdowns, maintaining proper bend radius, etc.
- Cat6 cable is usually thicker, meaning that it'll be more difficult to do multiple runs to a given drop if space is tight.
- And finally, absolutely nothing calls for Cat6. Nothing. The next real step up from Cat5e is Cat6a, which is even costlier than Cat6.

(c/p from a previous post.)

The-Ghost

Jul 1, 2014
Northern Ontario, Canada
I just installed my first Ubiquiti AP AC. It is awesome.
I’m Canadian, so when browsing my usual victims for network gear ncix/newegg/amazon I thought the AC version was just slightly out of reach… then after remembering I live in a border town and can ship to the states I realized it wasn’t really out of reach. No clients that support AC but it will be nice to have for the future. (unifi AC AP @ ~$295 VS WAP561 @ ~$271)

New AP of Choice: Ubiquiti AP AC bonus comes with the POE+ injector

There's no need for Cat6: (..)
I already have a partial box of cat6 from when I pulled cable in my parent’s house, why not use what I have, and match for the install. Cat6 is also better in high interference environments, and I’m not sure what kind of interference sources there are in the walls/house. Haven’t taken possession yet so no rf site survey either.

@Mr. F:

I’m attempting to lower my overall power consumption, and reduce the number of devices required to provide the services needed. I was originally planning on using theHP 1810-24Gbut with the added cost of multiple POE injectors or a second POE switch I found it to be more cost effective to get a single POE capable switch (1810-24G v2 @ ~$210 + ~$50/poe device VS. SG200-26P @ ~$390 with 12 poe ports) I'm a fan of Netgear (im leaving a6+y/o GS724t behind to run the network at my parents place, I'd get another Netgear device again but it seems that netgear POE/+ devices are more then the Cisco’s

The router/firewall device is what I’m hung on the most, I’d love a Cisco ASR+ ASA-NG but those would be total overkill for a home network and blow my budget sky-high… I was also considering a pfsense device or another low cost UTM appliance, as an alternative to the edgerouter lite…

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
One more store for you to add since you are in canada is canada computers. They are fairly competitive with ncix for pricing

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I would also consider looking at a Mikrotik unit. I have been running the CRS226 switches for awhile now and they just work. A pfsense machine is also really hard to beat.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
I'll second that crs226 switch also. Silent, reliable and 2 10Gb sfp+. Future expandability is important.

The-Ghost

Jul 1, 2014
Northern Ontario, Canada
The CRS226 switch sure are feature filled for the cost, the downside is ive come to the realization that as a first time homeowner i may have set the funding cap slightly higher then i probably should have seeing as how i actually havent moved in yet...

In the interest of stream lining my wants/needs, i believe i need to trims some of the "goodies" out for the time being until im settled and reasonably certain that everything is functioning properly (furnace, appliances, etc..)

I plan on keeping the UAP-AC AP but dropping the cisco SG200-26G POE to the HP 1810-24G v2 and picking up a low cost refurb desktop to run pfsense. I was gonig to get the ALIX APU or a USG50 but i think costwise the refurb PC for ~$150 is the best route to take at the moment as far as a UTM system goes.

tl;dr: New houses can be expensive, cutting back on initial equipment