Help me find this, or something similar: PCI-e fan controller sought

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
So I have this counterintuitive idea to run active 1U copper HSFs in my c6100.

My options as I see them is splice the fans on to the power that is going to the front panel - that seems iffy

my second option is to use the unused pci-e slot.

How I envision using the slot is if there was a generic board with either a molex out -- asumming you can draw power from the powered PCI-e slot, molex or 4pin fan and hook up the fans that way

Any thoughts?

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
that would work but there are not traditional 4 pin molex outs for the sleds.

What I'm hoping to do is get a card that draws power from the slot itself. Ive been looking and found nothing. I'll probably have to end up splicing the fans in somewhere.

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
You are doing the opposite to what people do with SAS expanders in JBOD chassis with no motherboards. What about PCI-e risers with ribbon cables, either remove the ribbon and solder some wires and a molex plug or 4/3 pin fan socket. Or solder on to the socket side of the ribbon, if they are thick ribbons not film based you can use utilise that cable and put plugs on the end.

PCI-e pin out is well documented on the net.

Hanss

Apr 3, 2013
Cornfield
So I have this counterintuitive idea to run active 1U copper HSFs in my c6100.

My options as I see them is splice the fans on to the power that is going to the front panel - that seems iffy

my second option is to use the unused pci-e slot....

Any thoughts?
I think I would be correct to connect the power adapter from the "edge" on the MoBo.