Help me find a Power Supply... ATX 2 CPU + 1 4 Pin to mobo ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
... And it's gone..
Posted with a single stick of ddr3 1600
4 or 5 times... Life was good.

Posted with a single stick of ddr3 ecc
Wouldn't post with 4 sticks of ecc

Went back to 1 stick ecc no post.
Wet back to 1 stick ddr3 no post.

Checked Cpu, checked Cpu pins
Checked ram..
Checked connections...

All looks good. At a bit of a loss. Power Supply might be flakes. My tester is an on/off so I can't guess...

Pulled all the sticks no beep.

In all cases when it posted green led by the front panel header came on first.
In all cases when it did not post green led by front panel header did not come on first.

no green led by the front panel header => Not getting proper power

Not sure what else to try, will try swapping psu tomorrow and see if that helps. I have never seen this psu working so it may be a dud or cables may be flakey, I'm hoping so.

Last edited:

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
IPMI isn't saying anything.
I plugged into the IPMI into the router and it is not negotiating also tried Eth1 with no result.
Used IPMI View 2.0/1.5 nothing on 192. network.
Checked router nothing there either.

Does it default to a 10. network... IPMI is a new tool for me.
RTFM'ing ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/IPMIView/IPMIView20.pdf

Last edited:

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
IPMI isn't saying anything.
I plugged into the IPMI into the router and it is not negotiating also tried Eth1 with no result.
Used IPMI View 2.0/1.5 nothing on 192. network.
Checked router nothing there either.

Does it default to a 10. network... IPMI is a new tool for me.
RTFM'ing ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/IPMIView/IPMIView20.pdf
How do you have the board grounded? Out of chassis is not ideal....

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Board is not grounded other than through power supply. resting on clean 2x2s.

I assumed power ground is adequate. I should not need to discharge static to boot???

Last edited:

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I suspect the power supply or the psu cables ... (my psu tester is just the cheap chinese green led type so I can tell there is a circuit but not the quality).

The extra 4 pin to the board should be optional to post according to the manual.
In this case the board would not post without it and then worked a couple of times with it plugged in (upside down six pin - this does test 12v on the tester) but then stopped.

Seller is local :)

a* Seller showed me this board posting with this cpu and this stick of ram on his test bench.
b* Seller will be coming by and selling me the power supply he was using on his test bench in the next couple of days. (1500W).

With no cpu/no ram | cpu/no ram | cpu/ 1 stick - bmc light is flashing, jumper is set correctly, but IPMI has not negotiated to the switch/router.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Power PC & Cooling to the rescue.
This old tank just works! This thing has enough connectivity for a small rack. A little underpowered at 1200w but I plugged it in and everything just spun up happy as can be.

Wood Hoo!!!

This will work until Patrick gets us the quantity pricing on phis and I figure out what else I can sell to pay for them :)

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
R, numpy, scipy, matlab, Intel compiler, GCC, Fortran, opencl/acc, hopefully gnubackgammon (gnubg)

It is a compute node for math, kaggle contests, data mining, smp programming, distributed programming.

I am interested in studying math, data mining, parallel programming, and machine learning so I am building a fast bottom 500 supercomputer. This will hopefully be about a 3 node version of the tianhe-2 sometime this year. The tianhe-2 has 10,000+ nodes.

My little network should provide an environment with n nodes that exercises all the latency issues that occur in a supercomputing environment using tools that will allow me to take my code and scale them out to a large network.
I'm not surprised! I don't have that much experience with the Phi cards. I was under the impression that a lot of those libraries ran on Cuda - I know matlab and Theano do. I read that Phi can help with Intel MKL on the fly. Have you found they make a huge difference or do you have software that is specifically using them?

I have interests in Genetic Programming and NNs. Hoping to play around with some of the "newer" reinforcement algorithms once I get my E5-2675s up and running.

Good stuff!

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I'm not surprised! I don't have that much experience with the Phi cards. I was under the impression that a lot of those libraries ran on Cuda - I know matlab and Theano do. I read that Phi can help with Intel MKL on the fly. Have you found they make a huge difference or do you have software that is specifically using them?

I have interests in Genetic Programming and NNs. Hoping to play around with some of the "newer" reinforcement algorithms once I get my E5-2675s up and running.

Good stuff!
Many of the NN libraries have been ported to CUDA. A Phi is about 1 Teraflop of fp64. For a lot of the NN libraries the video card shaders can do the linear algebra using fp32 faster than the general processors on a PHI. They are essentially a pared down pentium V cores plus some fast math and fp64/32 instructions with 8gb of shared ddr5 running busybox. So the outcome is essentially that of a 50 machine pentium V network running whatever code you choose optimized for the compute instruction set.

If I was purely interested in NN I might be looking at 6GB 7970's rather than NVidia as I'm poor and the AMD compute is excellent even if it doesn't support NVidia's proprietary Cuda (more libraries, big community, lots of buzz).

I am interested in distributed parallel processing as well as symmetrical processing for data analysis/modeling/cleaning etc... so I am taking advantage of intels essentially free offer of the cards for developers to learn on.

I think that we will see supercomputers using arrays of gpgpu's and mic's (many integrated cores) combined at some point if quantum compute doesn't pan out and doesn't come down in price. Liquid helium, massive vacuum and supercomputers to try to statistically analyze the results of quantum compute leads me to suspect this will be an nsa/nasa/google only realm for a while. A rack of phis, and a stack video cards however are within reach of a small lab/research student at current prices.

Jordan

Jan 26, 2016
Don't use ****ing adapters... unless you want to start a fire.

Either A, don't plug a 4pin in...
Or b, plug twin 6 pin pcie upside down into 1 of the 8pins... you will have 1 pins hanging off each end... meh.
One of my SM AMD 4p rigs need 3 8pins... that worked wonderfully... they guys who used adapters started fires, I also overclocked that rig to where it drew 1450w from the wall.
The pcie connectors will fit into the 8pin doing this? Looking at the plug shapes, it doesn't look like it should work, but maybe it depends on what the motherboard's eps connector looks like.

I was considering repinning two pcie connectors into an eps connector, but this would be easier if I didn't need to make any modifications.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Either two power supplys for one pc or one power suppy for two pc's

Last edited: