Help me find a Power Supply... ATX 2 CPU + 1 4 Pin to mobo ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I've been waiting 2 weeks for a man with a psu and the day never seems to come.
Looking for an atx power supply...

I think my biggest problem is I don't know how to search for what I'm looking for (naming of names)

The requirement for a 4 Pin power cable to the motherboard, as well as, 2 - 8 Pin Power cables (1 for each cpu)

The sm x9drg-qf motherboard requires:

Connectors:
24 pin to board
8 pin to cpu 1 - JPW2
8 pin to cpu 2 - JPW3
plus =>4 pin to motherboard - JPW4 (required)

3 PCIE - 8+6
3 IDE/SATA

Current version:
2 - E5 2670's ( 115W x 2 )
32 -gb ecc ddr3 , board , nic etc. (?)
2 - Xeon Phis ( 270W x 2 )
1 - 580GTX (around 280W )
2 - ssds ( 10w)
3 - spinners ( 25W x 3 )

seems to add up to a lot... ( 1200+ ... 1400-1600Watts for 80% capacity I'm guessing)

Final version will look something like:

2 - E5 2670's
64gb ecc ddr3
3 Xeon Phis - 270W/phi
1 ConnectX-2
2 - ssds (system)
some nvme if i can find a short card to sneak it in somehow.
san will be via NFS

so about the same power requirement...

What is the name of the thing that I am looking for. I'm hoping I dont have to go on every manufacturers site and read specs all night to find what size Robertson I need for my screw.

Thanks,
Robert

.... google says... EPS12V???

Last edited:
Reactions: Davewolfs

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
This is the configuration for my compute nodes... once I have the basic network laid out I will add more compute nodes to my rack (shelving, plywood, cardboard, bubble gum, tape, glue, popsicle sticks ).

The is in all open air... Supermicro puts it in the 1000 plus dollar supermicro sc747tq with redundant hot swappable pws in 1200, 1400, and 1600 versions.

I need a psu with cables:

My sticking point is needing all three power cables. The "retail boards" assume that you will use cpu 2 as a split 4 pin... and the dual retail ones I've looked at so far seem to assume the the 4 pin to the board is optional, but it is not for this motherboard.

I know these exist as the "guy" who has not delivered has shown me a picture of the board powered up with all connections in place. I just don't know what the right search criteria for finding them are.

ATX power supply 1000W+ gets me 1000's of hits of "gaming power supplies"

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Is there any technical reason I can't just add a second retail power supply...
a hot wire and pull power from two power supplies so that I can get the extra 4 pin 12volt and the pcie card power a little more nicely ?

i.e. 2 - 1000W power supplies

Power Supply A
24 Pin Motherboard
2 - 8 PIN CPU
1 - 580GTX
1 - ConnectX-2

Power Supply B
1 - 4 PIN 12 V to motherboard
2 - Xeon Phis
3 Hard Drives

b3nz0n8

Feb 18, 2013
LEPA (Enermax) - G1600-MA 1600W

EU Model : LEPA - LEPA G Series
US Model : LEPA - Products

Datasheet: http://www.lepatek.com/files/LE_ProductBasic_eng/PB_File/G1600-en.pdf

Manual: http://www.lepatek.com/files/LE_ProductBasic_eng/PB_File/LEPA manual-2012-10.pdf

Ebay Search: LEPA G1600 | eBay

Review EU Model: LEPA G1600-MA 1600 W Review

Review US Model:

Build Quality - Lepa G Series 1600W Power Supply Review

Notice

If you plan to put in 2 or more high end, power demanding GPU cards, please choose the motherboard that comes with extra 4P Molex/ 4P FDD / 6P PCI-E power socket(s) on board and connect them with your power supply. This will prevent the motherboard from overloading and possibly causing damage to your system including your power supply. The damage to the motherboard and the power supply caused by failing to do the above instruction will not be covered under Lepa manufacturer’s warranty. Please refer to your motherboard’s user manual to configure your system properly to prevent damage to your system and your power supply.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I see... I have been edumacated with two ways to skin the cat :)

12 volts can be found in many places....

Having to run 240 from the panel is a discussion for the brother in law. It would let me buy those open compute modules in the other thread.... I need a lot more money. This forum is going to be expensive

Having a retail 1000w in hand, adding a second retail 1000w and splicing the gray wire and the green seems cheapest till I find a thicker wallet.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
EVGA G2 or Seasonic 600w modular+... You may need to buy the other EPS/12V (CPU) modular cable, but then you have room for PCIE and you split a molex for the (1 or 2) 4 pin.

I'm running that in my motherboard test station, minus the PCIE cables as I don't need them but the PSU has room for them. And, right now my test station has 2x E5-2670 with a motherboard that requires the 2x 8 CPU, and 2x 4Pin.

Reactions: Chuckleb

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Yup... I think I understand now :)

Seasonics biggest power supply is a 1200 but evga has a 1600 G2 watt power supply.
Still much cheaper (i.e. I can do it now)... to buy a second 1 kilowatt power supply than wait till my paypal balance gets up to $300USD for the G2.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
24 hours later I have a plan...

Phase: 0.1: Harass the guy 10 minutes from here with a power supply that supports this board :)

Phase 1:
a. Buy a pin tool and rewire a 4Pin EPS female connector to a 6Pin PCI-E female connector and plug it in (12V)

or b. Buy this

Phase 3: Run Dual Power Supplies.
A second 1000K psu ( I already have one sitting here )
a) A paper clip or shove my cheap chinese psu tester on the 24 pin connection
or
b) A dual psu cable power switch adapter

Phase 4:

EVGA 1600W Titanium Power Supply (I can buy 7 - 1kilowatt gold power supplies for this price so I don't think I there will be a phase 4)

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Warning: To avoid damaging your motherboard and components, please use a power supply that supports a 24-pin, two 8-pin and and one 4-pin power connectors. Be sure to connect the 24-pin and the 8-pin power connectors to your power supply for adequate power delivery to your system. The 4-pin power connector is optional; however, Supermicro recommends that this connector also be plugged in for optimal power delivery
Don't use ****ing adapters... unless you want to start a fire.

Either A, don't plug a 4pin in...
Or b, plug twin 6 pin pcie upside down into 1 of the 8pins... you will have 1 pins hanging off each end... meh.
One of my SM AMD 4p rigs need 3 8pins... that worked wonderfully... they guys who used adapters started fires, I also overclocked that rig to where it drew 1450w from the wall.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
R, numpy, scipy, matlab, Intel compiler, GCC, Fortran, opencl/acc, hopefully gnubackgammon (gnubg)

It is a compute node for math, kaggle contests, data mining, smp programming, distributed programming.

I am interested in studying math, data mining, parallel programming, and machine learning so I am building a fast bottom 500 supercomputer. This will hopefully be about a 3 node version of the tianhe-2 sometime this year. The tianhe-2 has 10,000+ nodes.

My little network should provide an environment with n nodes that exercises all the latency issues that occur in a supercomputing environment using tools that will allow me to take my code and scale them out to a large network.

Last edited:

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Don't use ****ing adapters... unless you want to start a fire

Either A, don't plug a 4pin in...
Or b, plug twin 6 pin pcie upside down into 1 of the 8pins... you will have 1 pins hanging off each end... meh.
One of my SM AMD 4p rigs need 3 8pins... that worked wonderfully... they guys who used adapters started fires, I also overclocked that rig to where it drew 1450w from the wall.
Upside down 6 pin.. 2 yellow, 2 black lines up. Very nice Thank you.