Help Me Decide - Dual Cascade Lake 8270s or 3970x Threadripper?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
I am planning my next photo and video editing workstation and am trying to decide between dual 8270s or A 3970x 32 core threadripper. Another less costly option is the 3950x.

Parts wise for the dual cascade lakes I have already a X11 DAI board and a 280 GB Optane for boot

Thoughts?

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Are that many cores effectively used or would you be better off with a few fewer cores if they clocked higher?

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
Software I run photoshop, Cyberlink Power Director for video and Handbrake. I currently run a dual 2699 V3 setup that's great But will be moving to Texas for a year and am leaving the entire homelab servers and video capture boxes and all at home. Basically looking at options for a new build to take with me for editing while I'm in Texas.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Personally I'd consider the cost of the Xeon 8270 prohibitive; for the price of one of those CPUs (~£7k here) you could buy four 3970X's or two 3990X's, both of which are CPUs that'd spank the 8270's overpriced arse in most workloads. The only significant downsides are relatively few workstation-class boards and having to use relatively expensive EUDIMMs if you want ECC.

I have a 3950X myself (an absolute steal for the price) but if you need any heavy IO requirements it's not well suited; it sounds like you might use video capture cards in which case you'd need to calculate your lane usage and bandwidth requirements very carefully.

As excellent as they are, Optane is overkill for a boot drive. Only buy that if you've got money to burn, else I think you'd be better served by a good enterprise NVME drive. If it were me I'd go for something like the 1TB Intel P4511 which is in the same price ballpark as the 280GB 900P.

The Cyberlink one I don't know about, but Handbrake itself doesn't scale to more than 16 threads - and indeed if you're only working on encoding a single video at a time, efficiency and quality drops off the more threads you get the encoders to use. I've switched to using command-line ffmpeg pretty much entirely for my video workloads and whilst I can get it to use my 32 threads, it's difficult - sometimes one of the filters becomes a bottleneck (and this is where you still want high clocks) and the drop in quality isn't worth it for me (I'm not doing anything time-critical). If you haven't already done so you should start doing some performance monitoring on your current 2P setup to see what utilisation is like and where bottlenecks might lie.

Reactions: nnunn

KarelG

Jan 29, 2020
I am planning my next photo and video editing workstation and am trying to decide between dual 8270s or A 3970x 32 core threadripper. Another less costly option is the 3950x.

Parts wise for the dual cascade lakes I have already a X11 DAI board and a 280 GB Optane for boot

Thoughts?
I think pricewise the solution is simple: if you need less or equal to 256GB RAM (considering only ECC), then you can go with cheaper TR. If you need more, then Xeon-W or your dual 8270 is a must. Ignoring Epyc line since I expect you are after single-thread perf too. If not, then you can add Epyc to the comparison with Xeon-W/dual 8270 when >256GB RAM is needed...

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
Thanks everyone for input. As far as cost goes, I'm only looking at QS 8270s so a pair would cost roughly what the 3970x does at around 2K. I already have the Optane drive that i bought a while back when it was sale previously - the 280GB version