Help me choosing the right OS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bob80

Nov 16, 2013
Hello everyone, my name is Rocco, I live in Italy :)

I would like to build or buy a new server that will be used to share and store files among home's PCs, it will be used to download files from the net too (torrent). Now I would like to get some suggestions from you, what OS should I choose ? I have to say that my budget is "as low as possible", however, keeping a good components' quality.

I am not a very experienced users so I'd like to get an easy-to-configure OS. I've already tryed FreeNAS 8 few months ago and it seemed pretty fine but I haven't been able to set up properly the Transimission plug-in :(
I know that ZFS is a good choice too and it would avoid the cost of a hardware raid controller, however, I tryed FreeNAS on an old, unexciting machine (P4, DDR, 32bit), so I haven't exploited it.

I could also only install Windows Server 2012 but I'd need a hw RAID controller (pretty expensive)...

Appreciate your help :)

P.S. I think that 3-4 2TB disk would be good enough for my needs. After having chosen the right SW, I can pass to the hw part ;)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ubuntu Linux is going to be the cheapest or run napp-it plus another os

bob80

Nov 16, 2013
Hi Patrick, thank you for the suggestion :)

How do I manage my disks with Ubuntu, do I have to buy a hardware raid card ?

Other question: Napp-it can be used with which OS ? Is it free right ?

Last edited:

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
There's no need for a raid controller with either OS. What makes you think you need one with Windows?

By the way, transmission webgui can be set up with only a few commands. Plenty of tutorials around.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
You can manage the disks in many ways for free in Linux without the need for a hardware RAID card. ZFS exists on linux as a kernel module, or you can use mdadm, or use SnapRAID + a pooling solution (AUFS or mhddfs), or just roll with JBOD. I have tutorials on my site for both mdadm and SnapRAID configurations on Ubuntu if either of those peaks your interest.

mdadm
SnapRAID

Also, SnapRAID/FlexRAID($$) is an option on Windows systems as well. Or, you could use UnRAID($$), Linux based, but I don't see the point with SnapRAID having most of the same feature set, it's free and it's actively being developed.

Last edited:

bob80

Nov 16, 2013
Thank you guys :)

I will try as soon as possible to configure a Linux based config to see if things work properly, I'll setup a raid using mdam/SnapRAID.

Another thing: how do I share my volume among windows based home's PCs (CIFS?) ?

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Thank you guys :)

I will try as soon as possible to configure a Linux based config to see if things work properly, I'll setup a raid using mdam/SnapRAID.

Another thing: how do I share my volume among windows based home's PCs (CIFS?) ?
You will want to use either mdadm or SnapRAID, not both. mdadm is traditional software RAID, SnapRAID is snapshot RAID, perfect for home media storage. I share my volumes with CIFS, NFS, and AFP for my Macs.

bob80

Nov 16, 2013
Yes, I know. I will try both of them and decide which one is better :)

I'll keep you updated :)

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
I would do windows 2012/R2 - it is pretty slick these days. SMB3 (osx 10.9 primary is now smb2), nfs , ftp, iscsi targets.

With these low cost 10gbe and 40gb Infiniband you sure can go fast really cheap - with the right OS.

It is not easy to make a Virtual Storage Appliance go fast!

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
How do I manage raid with windows server?
If you are wanting 10GBe or Infiniband speeds, then none of the snapshot RAID options I mentioned will be able to go that fast (they go at single disk speeds, so you can saturate gigabit on a sequential transfer). If this is just for home media storage, which it sounds like from your original post, and you want to keep costs down I still think that mdadm or SnapRAID on Linux are still your best option. The OS is free and all the software is free.

I would agree that Server 2012 R2 + 10GBe/40GBe is great, for most home users the license cost is prohibitive. If you wanted an inexpensive way to go with Windows, you could use Windows 8 + Liquesce, FlexRAID, SnapRAID (plus Stalebit/Drive Bender/FlexRAID pooling), or Storage Spaces.

Last edited:

bob80

Nov 16, 2013
Indeed, my server will be used in a home enviroment with gigabit ethernet :)
I'd like to spend my mone in hw more than in sw so I'll go with linux