Help me build a VMware home lab

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

VR Bitman

Sep 9, 2014
I did a search and indeed the Mellanox cards are also cheap, but I haven't found anything cheaper than the Brocade product (not in Europe anyway).
OK the new configuration is starting to look like this:

- motherboard ?
- CPU ?
- 2x 4GB or 1x 8GB DDR3 - around 35€
- IBM M5014 (LSI 9260-8i) - around 150€
- Brocade BR-1020 10Gbps FCoE CNA PCIe Dual Port Card - around 90€
- PSU Silverstone SST-ST30SF semi-fanless 300W - around 75€
- case Fractal Design Define R4 - around 100€

I'm starting to go over budget, but at least prices include shipping.
My requirements are not extremely high, though. I plan on moving a lot of data for a number of projects, but a 100-150MB/s throughput could be adequate, I think. I believe the Intel Celeron J9100 can provide that kind of performance, but seeing that the platform supports a truly limited number of PCIE lanes, I remain open to any suggestions.

Last edited:

VR Bitman

Sep 9, 2014
I have decided to try building it with the ASRock motherboard, so I went ahead and ordered everything except the case, which I won't be needing for my initial tests. I've replaced the SilverStone PSU with a cheaper Enermax unit (but not of lower quality). I've also replaced the Fractal Design case with a Cooler Master product, which is cheaper and designed for quiet operation. Total cost comes at little under 500€, perfect.
This is the final configuration:

- motherboard ASRock Q1900M w/ integrated Intel J9100 quadcore CPU 68€
- RAM modules 2x4GB DDR3 33,5€
- dedicated PCI-E RAID controller IBM M5014 (LSI 9260-8i) (with forced WB without BBU) 140€
- dedicated PCI-E CNA Brocade BR-1020 10Gbps FCoE dual-port 73€
- PSU Enermax NAXN 500W 42€
- 2x mini SAS to 4x SAS fanout cables 70€
- case Cooler Master Silencio 550 around 70€

Last edited:

VR Bitman

Sep 9, 2014
After some bad luck with the Q1900M motherboard, I have decided to switch to another model instead of asking for a replacement Q1900M. I went with the ASRock H81M. Among other advantages, this model requires less modifications / adapters as it has two x16 (mechanical) slots. Given that the CPU is not integrated, cost is slightly higher, but still within budget.

VR Bitman

Sep 9, 2014
Well, I finally got my NAS system up and running. I'm using Windows Server 2012 R2 as operating system and the components I have mentioned above.
This is how the array looks like:

These are the results of my initial tests:

I'm no storage expert, but the numbers seem OK to me. As I mentioned before, I require high sequential transfer speeds, as I will be working with very large files, and low IOPS.
For around 500€ of cost we have around 500MB/s of throughput (for sequential transfers). This means the value factor is about 1€/MB/s.
Well, I guess this is it. In terms of hardware, my personal laboratory is now complete.
What's left to do now is to install and configure the virtualization software.
I don't need any help with that, but without the pointers that you guys gave me I wouldn't have been able to get the project off the ground, so I want to thank you all once again. If it weren't for this incredible online community I wouldn't have been able to discover some of the lesser-known hardware manufacturers or the rare eBay deals. Thanks again.

If anyone is interested in reading more about this project, I will be posting details and pictures in the following days on my personal blog, starting here.

Last edited:

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
let us know what the NAS performance is once you start accessing it accross the network. thanks for all the posts!

VR Bitman

Sep 9, 2014
let us know what the NAS performance is once you start accessing it accross the network. thanks for all the posts!
Performance seems to be good. I say "seems" because I am unable to test the Brocade BR-1020 CNA with the Mikrotik switch. Apparently the BR-1020 does not support Mikrotik transceivers and as soon as I connect one the event logs get populated with "unsupported SFP module" messages.
At the moment, I'm not sure what brand of inexpensive cables could work. Most certainly I cannot spend 3-digit figures for Brocade cables in a home lab context.

However I was able to perform some testing with the integrated gigabit Ethernet port on the motherboard, and I can definitely say that access times are very fast and the connection gets instantly saturated during file transfers.