1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me benchmark some MegaRAID controllers...

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by chrispitude, Jan 12, 2018.

1. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Hi folks,

Here's what I've currently got:
    • NEC 9267-8i controller with BBU
    • Six 3TB WD Red HDDs
    • One 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
    • Ubuntu 17.04 machine, 16GB RAM, i7-4790k CPU (just consumer stuff)
    I thought the 9267-8i would do CacheCade, but it turns out I was wrong.

This is for a home Plex/virtualbox/Samba box. I'd like to get a CacheCade setup because... well, I like playing with computer stuff. So practicality takes a bit of a back seat if the price is right.

What's an inexpensive way to get a CacheCade/RAID5/6 setup? It looks like I can get an LSI 9260-8i+LSI00292 hardware key for under $80. But...
    • Would spending an extra $60ish on an 9265-8i+LSI00290 hardware key yield noticeable improvement with these drives?
    • Are there other CacheCade-capable controllers (perhaps Dell/IBM/NEC-branded) that are good deals at this performance level?
    Right now this box is free, so I'm happy to do some benchmarking. Maybe I can buy another controller or two and test them at various RAID0/5/6 with/without CacheCade configurations. If you give the guidance, I'm happy to do the repeated hardware and OS installs, etc., and share my findings.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Forgot to mention...

The reason for this is, I've asked several questions recently and this community has been incredibly helpful. I'd like to volunteer my time and resources to say thanks and give back.

3. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Snagged a 9260-8i+LSI00292 key for $47 shipped!

4. i386

i386 Active Member

I think you will get some improvements on small, random read iops. (For write caching you will need redundancy or parity).

I don't have experience with cachecade, but with maxcache (adaptecs ssd caching). In maxcache the raid controller constantly reads and writes to the ssds (=> sustained workload). Your 850 evo is not made for such a use case and the performance of your whole arrray will degrade once the cache in the ssd is filled up.

5. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Thanks i386, I appreciate your cautions. This is largely just an excuse to play with CacheCade using a large dataset (uhh, my own stuff). I might or might not keep that configuration. The contents will always be backed up. In the longer run, I might run the SSD directly as a system disk (as you previously recommended) or move to a NAS-based solution instead.

What's the STH-blessed way of testing disk performance in linux? I've seen STH posts discussing development of such a benchmark, but nothing about its completion or usage.

6. aero

aero Active Member

I prefer iozone for testing in Linux. That's just me though.

7. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Thanks! I can try it. What's your recommended command line?

8. aero

aero Active Member