Help - LSI MegaRAID 2208 in Supermicro 2027TR-H72RF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ewer0012

Feb 10, 2019
Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I thought I'd start here.

I recently bought a Supermicro 4-node 2u server (2027TR-H72RF) which uses an LSI MegaRAID 2208 controller. I'm attempting to make this a Nutanix or Proxmox cluster, but Nutanix, Proxmox, Ubuntu, and Debian won't see any drives when I boot into them on each of the 4 nodes...

When I'm POSTing, all of the drives show up fine. If I go into the LSI config it sees the drives, but nothing ever shows up in the OSs I've tried.

• fdisk -l only shows the USB drive that I was booting from.

• mdadm doesn't detect any RAID.

• T_Minus suggested that maybe the drives weren't set to 512, but they were when I checked with sg3 utilities.
  • I've tried updating the firmware of the controller to the latest available from Supermicro.
All drives show up in every OS I try when I boot up one of my old PCs...

I'll try anything at this point... I would really like to get this up and running instead of parting it out. (There could be beer & steak money in it for whoever helps me figure it out :D)

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
I assume you have cleared the LSI RAID config & just have the drives in passthrough mode?

In BIOS, Advanced, Storage OpRom, I had to toggle between UEFI & Legacy, one of those did the trick for me, IIRC.

Reactions: ewer0012

ewer0012

Feb 10, 2019
So, the option wasn't there... But you got me digging deeper into the BIOS and there's actually a section in the BIOS for configuring the controller (which wasn't there before I upgraded to the latest firmware for the controller/BIOS) so I didn't see it till now. Buried in about 5 menus deep is a JBOD mode setting in the BIOS which was disabled. Enabling this fixed everything.

If you PM me your PayPal, I'll shoot over some steak and beer $. :)

Reactions: awedio

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
All good.
No worries on the PayPal.
We are here to help each other out, lord knows, I've received tons of help from forum members!