Help! Is my Xeon-D build dead?

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by blingo, Jul 31, 2018.

1. blingo

blingo New Member

So today I attempted to build my own Xeon-D system, but the system is not working correctly. When I press the "power on" button, I would expect the CPU fan to start spinning at least, but it does not. The power LED indicator also does not light up. Needless to say, I have connected the switch and LED to the corresponding headers on the motherboard.

It's strange, because the green light shines on the motherboard, so it definitely has power. Also, the "CPU" (SoC) gets quite warm with time. Strangely, however, the CPU fan does not run. Also, the IPMI NIC is responding (has indicator lights), but I don't have the IP so cannot connect. One problem is that I do not have a monitor and was counting on being able to use IPMI to set everything up, but because the processor fan is not running, I don't see the point since I don't think it even POST:s.

I have _not_ connected the 8-pin motherboard power header, as I have read that it should not be connected on Xeon-D platforms. Is this correct?

This motherboard is an eBay special, it is a Xeon-D 1521 custom-made for a company called Datto, I was looking forward to having my own Xeon-D platform to play with, am gutted that it does not appear to work. Any ideas would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. Marsh

Marsh Moderator

Is this the board (GIGABYTE MB10 Datto Motherbaord Xeon D-1521 with I/O Shield) you have?
    GIGABYTE MB10 Datto Motherbaord Xeon D-1521 with I/O Shield | eBay

I have same two Gigabyte MB10 boards, so I peek inside the case that is housing the MB10 board.
    You will need to hookup the power cable to the 8 pin ( in my case , my PS only have 4 pins ) .

What you referring to not hookup the 12v connector apply to Supermicro boards.

billc.cn likes this.
  3. blingo

blingo New Member

Thanks Marsh, yes that's the board! Thanks for the great news, maybe there is hope for my build after all... My PSU doesn't have a 8-pin connector, so I will get an ATX12V to EPS12V adapter and try again. It's late local time (3.30 am in Sweden) so I think I can finally get some sleep and try again tomorrow.

4. Marsh

Marsh Moderator

My PS only have 4 pins , therefore 4 pin worked for me.

5. blingo

blingo New Member

Sorry, my reading comprehension was not so good. I tried the 4-pin connector in the 8-pin slot. What happens as soon as I plug in the computer is that the CPU fan starts spinning for a few seconds and then stops. Also the power indicator on the back lights up, but just for a few seconds. Pressing the power button still does nothing. :(

6. blingo

blingo New Member

I have now tried to reset the CMOS, and played around with a bunch of different RAM configurations. System still won't POST. Ideas anyone?

7. Marsh

Marsh Moderator

Using ECC memory ?
    What brand and model of RAM?
    Find the IPMI IP address , login to see anything in the log
    Try one RAM stick at a time?

There is a chance the board is DOA.

8. blingo

blingo New Member

Ok, I have now done a complete rebuild. And now when I press the power button, the system remains powered on with fans spinning. So that's something at least. Do you know the easiest way of getting the IPMI IP?

Thanks in advance for your patience!

9. Zuhkov

Zuhkov New Member

I have one of these boards as well. If I recall correctly (can check when I get home), the MAC address for the IPMI port is on a sticker on the top of the port. Once you have the MAC, you can go look for it in your DHCP lease table and get the IP address, assuming the IPMI is set to use DHCP. If it's not, you may need to get a monitor and keyboard and go into the BIOS.

10. blingo

blingo New Member

Thanks, I can see the MAC address on the sticker. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be configured for DHCP. I can't enter the BIOS since, as far as I know, the unit won't even POST correctly. I would like to use the IPMI to find any POST error codes for further troubleshooting, but there's a chicken-and-egg problem here if I first need to have BIOS access to configure the IPMI correctly.

Sigh... I was really excited about this build, but that has soured now.

11. Gio.P

Gio.P New Member

Hi Everyone,

sorry to hijack this thread, but I cannot really find much info on this anywhere. I have one of these boards but it still has the datto firmware on it. Have you guys flashed this board with the gigabyte firmware? if so, how did you do it? Thank you

12. Aestr

Aestr Active Member

@Gio.P I had a few of the Datto 1541 boards and they flashed just fine to gigabyte firmware. I suspect it should be the same for these, but can't guarantee it.

It was just a matter of downloading the latest firmware from gigabytes website and following the instructions. Nothing special.

13. Gio.P

Gio.P New Member

Cool, so I went ahead and did just that (before you actually replied) and flashed it with gigabyte bios, however I have now lost both NICs, the mac ID shows as 00:00:00:00:00:00 in the bios and even though the activity lights come on, my switch will not see them and windows does not see any adapters...

Has anyone had this issue before?

I should add that I flashed them throughthe IPMI