Help Flash Cisco SFS 3001 (Topspin90) with new firmware image

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

renderfarmer

Feb 22, 2013
New Jersey
Hi all. I have an Cisco SFS 3001 with an OS that pre-dates the introduction of the optional Ethernet Bridging module.

I purchased the last known firmware for this switch (2.8.0) from a guy but I can't get it to copy the file.

I have it connected to my functioning SFS 3001 via CX4 cable (lights are green on both ends) and I'm hooked up to the console.

I set up an FTP server on my local network and I checked that the it's accessible from any machine on my network.

I then type the following into the console and I'm stumped:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HP-IB> en
en

HP-IB# copy ftp://user:password@10.10.10.110/ts280.img image:ts280.img
copy ftp://user:password@10.10.10.110/ts280.img image:ts280.img

0%
0%
0%
operation failed

Error: FTP server not reachable.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I connected the management Ethernet cable and that didn't help.

I know almost nothing about Cisco console commands so if there's a Cisco admin out there that can help with this I'd be most appreciative.

renderfarmer

Feb 22, 2013
New Jersey
Thanks, nitro. The Cisco document I'm using as a guide says ftp but I'll try TFTP as well.

At the moment I can't even ping the IP of the the machine running the FTP so fixing that would be step 1...

renderfarmer

Feb 22, 2013
New Jersey
I would assume the management connection, otherwise it would require that everyone is running IPoIB.
That's a good point. In which case I'm in trouble because the Eth management port is properly configured yet I can't connect to it...

I can ping the IP but that's it so far.

sag

Apr 26, 2013
I normally work with cisco devices but none of this type. so I don't know how much help i will be.

can you run the command "show run" and paste the output?

renderfarmer

Feb 22, 2013
New Jersey
I normally work with cisco devices but none of this type. so I don't know how much help i will be.

can you run the command "show run" and paste the output?
Thanks! I should have time to hook it back up and play with it some more on Wednesday. I'll report back then.

What you mean cannot connect to it?
How are you accessing the switch config currently?
The CLI via Cisco Serial connector.

renderfarmer

Feb 22, 2013
New Jersey
Ok, I got to it today.

Show run yields:

HP-IB> show run
show run

Error: Incomplete command

I looked up the manual and there is a show interface command for this switch. That yields:

HP-IB# show interface mgmt-ethernet
show interface mgmt-ethernet

================================================================================
Mgmt-Ethernet Information
================================================================================

mac-address : 00:05:ad:00:14:da

auto-negotiate : enabled

admin-status : up
ip-addr : 10.10.10.190
mask : 255.255.255.0
gateway-addr : 10.10.10.1

I can ping the remote system that is physically connected to the switch from the Cisco CLI. Last time I tried to ping my workstation and that doesn't work.

I still can't connect to the switch through a browser like I can my other fully functioning SFS 3001 (I use an old version of mozilla for this purpose). I get a pop up message saying "connection was refused when attempting to contact 10.10.10.190".

I'll set the ftp up on the remote system and see if that will work.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
So my next question is are you in the same broadcast domain? ie. does your workstation have an IP address of 10.10.10.x? If not you will have to create routing between the two subnets either on your router(router on a stick) or an L3 switch.

renderfarmer

Feb 22, 2013
New Jersey
So my next question is are you in the same broadcast domain? ie. does your workstation have an IP address of 10.10.10.x? If not you will have to create routing between the two subnets either on your router(router on a stick) or an L3 switch.
All of the machines on my net are 10.10.10.XXX. (255.255.255.0)

I've made progress. By removing the bridged connection and going directly to the box with a monitor and keyboard i got the switch to connect to the ftp and copy the image file.

I then type the install command it it says:

HP-IB# install image:ts280.img
install image:ts280.img

Proceed with install? [yes(default) | no] yes
yes

Error: Not enough space on card 1 to perform installation.

HP-IB#

Arrrgggg!!!

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Well nvm, I think that was for the element Manager...i ninja edited, but here is a link i found.
Cisco SFS Product Family Element Manager User Guide, Release 2.9.0 - Maintenance Tasks* [Cisco SFS 7000 Series InfiniBand Server Switches] - Cisco Systems

Important part:

The system has only enough flash memory to store:
One system image file (active)

One image file (inactive/uninstalled)

One recovery image

Occasionally, you need to manually delete an image file from the InfiniBand system to make room for a new version. See the "Deleting Files in the File System" section.

renderfarmer

Feb 22, 2013
New Jersey
Thanks, nitrobass24! I used that in conjunction with this CLI guide I found through google to put the proper commands together. sadly, it didn't end like I had hoped:

HP-IB# dir image

Existing Boot-Images on System

===========================================================================

slot date-created size file-name

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Thu Apr 15 16:36:39 2004 13085184 Release-1.1.3hp/build025

1 Thu Apr 15 16:04:04 2004 18899982 Topspin90-TopspinOS-1.1.3-build009.img

1 Tue Apr 30 19:42:13 2013 31569991 ts280.img

HP-IB#

HP-IB# delete image:Topspin90-TopspinOS-1.1.3-build009.img

Delete file Topspin90-TopspinOS-1.1.3-build009.img? [yes(default) | no] yes
yes

HP-IB# install image:ts280.img
install image:ts280.img

Proceed with install? [yes(default) | no] yes
yes

Error: The system image file is bad

HP-IB#

I guess that's that...

renderfarmer

Feb 22, 2013
New Jersey
I tried it several more times. Deleting the image, rebooting, not rebooting, with the Ethernet bridge installed, and without. Same result.

Thanks so much for helping me out.