Help Diagnosing Boot Issue (SM X8DT3 and X5650)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pinkanese

Jun 19, 2014
Hello all,

I have been lurking around for a while enjoying all the excellent information. I have a small network setup at home and I am slowly working on expanding. I finally decided to put together something a little more powerful to play with virtualizing a few things and general experimenting.

I picked up a used SuperMicro X8DT3 and a single Xeon X5650. I decided to test the mobo and cpu before buying too much hardware. Initially I could not get it to boot, hooked up a speaker and got a RAM error, picked up a stick from the supported memory list, but the problem persists.

I do not have a power supply with two 8-pin EPS connectors. I am currently using an adapter. I did a little research and found that SM boards can be very picky about power supplies. So I am thinking i need to order a new PSU to continue testing.

Is there any other way to test everything without buying a second everything and testing all of it till I find a working combination? I have build a few computers in the past, but it seems I may have gotten a little over my head here.

jahsoul

Dec 13, 2013
War Eagle Country
Do you know what BIOS is on the board? I ran into this last night installing L5630's on a X8DTi-F. Thankfully, I had a spare L5520 laying around, and saw that the BIOS was seriously outdated. Once updated, it booted and recognized the L5630s.