Help designing a new network

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Ok,

We are having some network issues at work. We are leaning towards the issue being our current HP ProCurve J4903A (the only managed switch we have). At this point, I would like to start planning a new network layout with the following features.
  • At least 10G between switches
  • Managed switches everywhere (instead of a single managed switch now)
  • STP & redundant links
My thought is a single switch 24 port 1G with 2 SFP+ ports to replace the J4903A (and interface with the router), and then a 24 port 1G switch with 2 SFP+ ports at the top of each rack (other than one which will also have to 10/100 switches below that due to lab equipment). However, I am not able to find a 24 port 1G switch with two SFP+ ports. All I'm finding is 48 port switches (which would be OK for our workstations). Any advice you can offer would be nice.

My final pie in the sky want is 10G to our VM hosts, and I do realize this would require larger all SFP+ switch.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
There is a ton of data missing;) Budget, Total Port Count, Rack Count, Total VM Hosts, acceptable Noise & power figures, port types, advanced features required etc pp ...

However, I am not able to find a 24 port 1G switch with two SFP+ ports
Check the 10GB switch thread, there should be plenty in all price ranges.
Better ones to look for have 2 SFP+ & 2x 10 GBE, like the JG962A or Netgear 3300-28X (the HP is of better quality o/c)

My final pie in the sky want is 10G to our VM hosts, and I do realize this would require larger all SFP+ switch.
Should be doable depending on your actual numbers...