Help deciding on motherboard for deployment server build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ikyn

Jun 27, 2022
Hello everyone! Looking for recommendations for a motherboard, specifically a C246 chipset motherboard. I already have the CPU and must use this chipset. I’m also limited to ITX as I have a Chenbro 301 for a case. Here are the use cases for my upcoming build:

AsRock Rack C246 WSI Mini-ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C246 - Newegg.com

AsRock Rack E3C246D2I Mini-ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C246 - Newegg.com

Jetway JNF796M2-C246 Intel 9th Gen Xeon E-Series Mini-ITX Motherboard, TPM 2.0, Dual GbE LAN

MSI 919-98L1-005 Ms-98l1 Intel Clf-S C246 Mini-Itx Ddr4 Sodimm Lan Dp Hdmi.

First it will be used as a “mobile server” where in I plan to take a plex library and host my library to an entire company of Marines during deployment. Basically plan to stick a wireless router on top and serve it up over LAN and WLAN.

Second, after deployment, this will become one of my long-term storage nodes for my family’s pictures, documents, home movies, etc. (hence the ECC memory). I plan to drop this at my dad’s so I want as stable as possible (other reason for ECC).

Questions I have: Would IPMI be helpful? What should I use the one PCI-E slot for? Recommended CPU cooler?

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
E3C246D2I, IPMI good if you have routed access (VPN) to your dad's. Otherwise still useful because you don't need to attach monitor when something is off (won't boot etc.). Was the CPU boxed? Then that cooler would be enough. Might wine a little under load, but load should be limited as a NAS. If you don't have a cooler then a Arctic Alpine 12 (ACALP00027A) looks suitable. Because of the case I'd recommend a top blow model with spiral fins, to cool also VRM, chipset and RAM.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Owh yes that could be a problem for Plex. If you want to transcode better get a board which has external DVI/HDMI/DisplayPorts. I saw a post on here too that said some boards with IPMI will not provide enough or power at all to the iGPU pins. Leading to problems and even crashes. Supermicro quality for C236 C246 seems ok to me, Asrock Rack too. Would not touch Jetway or MSI or Gigabyte. Support for Supermicro is best, Asrock pretty much non-existant. The BIOS and BMC code works though. Better support in terms of regular updates would come from Lenovo, HP and Dell. Intel OEM mainboards still exist, also get regular updates. You may need to keep the iGPU active using one of those HDMI plugs which emulate a monitor. Otherwise iGPU may go into sleep during BIOS and not wake up when Plex wants to transcode. Not a Plex expert though.