Help, confused, maybe I am a fool.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kingmer

Nov 19, 2017
So here the saga so far,

So I wanted to update my nas, which was previously a i5 2500k running 32GB ram on an ASUS WS MB.

I decided I wanted ECC ram to avoid bit rot and in general wanted something a little more power efficient and maybe something I could do seti-at home, folding, prime95, etc. on.

So I gathered my components:

I bought a CHENBRO 4141B brand new for ~$200, unfortunately it had the SATA backplane, but I will live with that.

Got a decent deal on a 9305-24i (~$420)

bought a X9DRI-LN4F+ for $160 in the great deals thread

64 GB of Samsung 1rx4 1600 registered ECC (8 sticks x 8 GB ~$180 - I am assuming there are pricier because they are single rank ECC ddr3 at 1600)

replaced the DVD drive with an 8x SATA sdd hot swap bay.

replaced the floppy with a 2x SATA sdd hot swap bay.

So in total I have 16 spinner bays, and 10 sdd bays + internal mount for 1 drive.

Sounds good for a NAS.

I also put in a ZOTEC 1x PCIE NVIDIA GTX 740 to replace the on board MATROX 200.

Now for cpus I decided on 2x E5 x 2651 v2 for $100 each.

I choose them for energy efficiency and somewhat decent performance,

CINABENCH R15 gets about 2000. so not to bad.

Each CPU now idles at around 7w.

Problem = When I remote desktop in, it is so unbearably slow!

Is this a factor of the CPUs, they turbo at only 2 ghz, yet, idle all the way down to 1.1 ghz.

Did I make a huge mistake? Should I have just gotten the E5-2680 v2's I was eyeing?

-Kingmer

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Which OS are you running? What software etc? Remote will obviously traverse your network and will be much slower than at the console. If it's really slow, I would be looking for possible network issues, firewalling, dns problems etc. I highly doubt your hardware choice is causing your problem :)

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Which OS are you running? What software etc? Remote will obviously traverse your network and will be much slower than at the console. If it's really slow, I would be looking for possible network issues, firewalling, dns problems etc. I highly doubt your hardware choice is causing your problem :)
^ This. Also check your CPU utilization. Do you have anything running that is consuming 100% CPU?

Kingmer

Nov 19, 2017
The server is using Server 2016 essentials

All other boxes win 10 or 7.

I am just using windows remote desktop.

If i transfer large files to from the server i get near theoretical max transfer rate for 1 gb etherner.

CpU utilization is hovering around 2 %.

Now here is a question, if i remote on a 4k monitor which graphics card is doing the work?

Also any idea what these cpus were origionally used for?

Thanks all!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
You can remote into the server with a piece of wet string and a tin can, but it won't help much. It's very nearly all host based (done on the server), but stripped to be lean for the RDP Protocol, your 4k screen just outputs what it receives at the remote end. You say you are getting near line speed when transferring files, is that with a direct connection or on the same LAN (subnet) through a hub or switch?

Those CPU's were originally used to fetch, decode, execute and store binary data, just in someone else's server ;):p:D

I suppose you could check that you are actually using the hardware acceleration of the graphics card when remote if it has such a setting. Also, depending on what you are trying to do, perhaps remoteFX or something similar might help.

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
What is your goal on connecting anyway? Basic admin tasks? Then no need to have a dedicated gpu. Just set resolution lower if its too slow and make sure you have the correct drivers.

If its unbearable with FHD and correct drivers as well then there is another issue at hand