Help buying rtx 3080

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Alitech

Feb 14, 2020
I know weird question in these times

Any ideas on where I can buy a new msrp 3080 in the US? I just need to learn some tricks on how to source one. I can see places please vest buy have them listed for $699 but sold out.

Are you guys putting bots on certain pages?

Is there a website where I can keep an eye on stock across the US?

virulent

Jul 3, 2019
Buy a time machine, lol

I don't know any US specific tactics but distill.io is amazing. Install the extension on your personal PC's browser so that you can configure check intervals to be as low as 5 seconds.

Reactions: altmind and dabbler

pchangover

Dec 12, 2016
MD
Buy a time machine, lol

I don't know any US specific tactics but distill.io is amazing. Install the extension on your personal PC's browser so that you can configure check intervals to be as low as 5 seconds.
Unless you're using proxies, distill will just end up getting you blacklisted for a time from most of the big sites. 5 seconds is simply not quick enough to beat the bots in my experience. I've been buying cards for friends and coworkers and fighting the scalpers since October but the past few months have been an absolute nightmare and everything is botted to hell.

OP - GLHF... you need to get extremely lucky with the Newegg Shuffle during the week or hit on Best Buy. BB usually drops Tuesdays or Thursdays around 11am EST and they are due this week.

myrison

Jan 26, 2011
...or hit on Best Buy. BB usually drops Tuesdays or Thursdays around 11am EST and they are due this week.
Do you have to actually be in a Best Buy or you're watching the site for them to drop? Are any of them actually inventoried in stores or all online?

pchangover

Dec 12, 2016
MD
Do you have to actually be in a Best Buy or you're watching the site for them to drop? Are any of them actually inventoried in stores or all online?
Online only for now. Check the website or use the app. Once they release stock you'll need to hit "Add to Cart" and wait for your queue time to come up and then it will be added to cart and you have a few seconds to check out. Best strategy is to use a desktop/laptop with several tabs open on the cards you're interested in and click add to cart on all of them and hopefully you hit on one. Shotgun approach is about the only thing that works.

Reactions: myrison

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
I seriously don't understand wt* is going on with video cards. I remember back in 2020 I had to write a bot to notify me of nintendo switch stock across amazon jp, raakuten and few others, there were twitter bots all over the place too and somehow i managed to squeeze in with my bot to buy at a normal retail price coz all scalpers were all over the place. Man, that was a fight for a game console that is FOUR years OLD! And as far as I know, this is still kinda not exactly back in stock yet!!! A year into the pandemic. Miners are hunting for cards eh. It's crypto. But cmon, nvidia knew of this, right, they knew this is coming... where's the damn stock?

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
This really shouldnt come as a surprise to anyone. But there is a general lack of components or semiconductors in the industry. So low margin profit components and products get to the bottom of the list. Even if they knew there isnt anything they can do about it. The silicon gets used in higher margin products. Industrial. Medical. Automotive. etc. Its going to be like this for a while.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Join discord channels that publish the drops and spend 4-6hrs every other thursday till you get a card like everyone else. GL.

RayNelson

Feb 8, 2020
Or sign up for waiting list (notify when available) on each card you want at B&H Video. I signed up a couple months back for a 3070, was notified last week that one was available and I had a few days to complete the order. Ordered and got the card last weekend. Prices were a little higher than standard MSRP for the cards, but were well under scalper rates. Hope this helps (and hope I don’t get banned for such advice).

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
- chip shortage everywhere, even auto manufacturers are shutting down since they can’t get the chips to complete their vehicles
- join stock alert channels
- camp outside of bb and micro center
- have multi monitor setup and crawl bb site on drop days keeping all the queues up at the same time
- pay a scalper on eBay , depending on how bad you want it
- wait until after July when miners will stop buying gpus
- use bots

disclaimer: I am a miner and I wrote my own bots to snipe gpus off sites as soon as they come in stock.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
OR
Be realistic - do you really need a 3080 - or is your old graphics card good enough :)

Artificial "needs" is the mother of all evil - and if you decide that you will get one, whenever, suddenly everything is much easier :)

84TAVeRT

Mar 25, 2021
evga has a direct purchase option. you get queued for purchase. when it is your turn you get an email and have 8 hours to complete the purchase.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
I agree, EVGAs process was painless. Even when UPS “lost” (tracked it somewhere in remote CA town loocationss, then it froze for a week) my 3090, once a reasonable time had passed, their customer service folks took care of everything. (And he was even proactive about outreaching to me- despite what had to be insane call volumes!)

The only downside is that you have to order within 8 hours of the email they send... but it sure beats racing bot programs that everyone is using.

Good luck!

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I ordered the cheapest computer from cyberpower to get a 3090 at retail prices. I placed the order in Jan and got it 5 weeks later though. Funny thing is the pc parts are worth 600 more now due to shortages. If you can find a big box retailer selling pcs with the component it might be easiest to getting the card at msrp. you can then turn around and sell the rest of the parts, etc.