Help booting X10SDV-4C-TLN2F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

arcadeperfect

Feb 6, 2021
Hi,

I bought a supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F off ebay to build a nas. The ebay listing claims it is it good working order.

The unit powers on and the CPU fan spins up, but I get nothing at all from the VGA port, or from a cheap pcie video card from my previous nas box. I also get no error beeps. I get a blinking green LED by the ASPEED chip. It powers on as soon as I power up the PSU, and momentarily shorting the power button pins does nothing although shorting for 4 seconds does shut it down.

I tried pinging what I believe to be the default IPMI ip (192.168.1.99) but didn't get anything. I've verified that the VGA jumper is set to enable and I've tried with various ram configurations and no ram at all. I've also tried with no boot drive, the working truenas boot from my old nas and a bootable usb installer. I cleared the CMOS.

The ram is non-ecc DDR4 3000MHz. I was hoping the CPU would just downclock the ram to supported speeds, but maybe it just doesn't like this ram. Would I get no VGA / error beeps at all if that was the case? I'm not familiar with platforms like this.

Thanks

arcadeperfect

Feb 6, 2021
Solved!

It was down to the (presumably) analog VGA output and a passive VGA to HDMI cable. A monitor with a VGA input worked.

Still curious as to why the pcie GPU didn't work though.

Reactions: RageBone

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
It was down to the (presumably) analog VGA output and a passive VGA to HDMI cable.
15 Pin VGA is analog, what else ? your cable is possibly a HDMI to VGA cable, some HDMI devices have still R-G-B analog present.
the pcie graphics card works as soon as an operating system is loaded(with a working driver of course)
the (server)BIOS can not know how to access 1000s of different cards...
software engineers of desktop motherboard BIOS work all the day on fixing issues with new GPUs soming on the market thought.