HELP BOOTING Server 2019 from BACKUP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

B1gJ1mmy

Jun 4, 2020
Good Morning.

Just wondering if I can get any help. I have been using Microsoft server 2019 for my home server for about a year now I get free access to it as I work in the education field.

Anyway. I was using windows server backup to back the C: drive of my server. Recently I had a drive failure this drive was not in a raid so I really have no option except to recover the C partition that I have been backing up every night.

What I did not realize is that is that the C: volume backup I have been doing is not bootable when recovered using windows server backup.

So I need Help!

I have 100% of the C volume. However I cannot get it to boot, I have tired the Bootrec /rebuildbcd and it detects the windows installation instance but will not rebuild ("the requested system device cannot be found") I have tried following several guides. I have used diskpart to recreate the EFI partition etc. however I am still not able to boot. I get the same error when I run Bootrec /rebuildbcd even after the EFI parition was setup.

I have a server 2019 boot USB handy and ready to go.

I understand that my backup solution was weak! however I figured for home use it would be sufficient. I guess i was wrong!

I really need this working I have a storage pool on this server I really need to get some files from.

Thanks.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
You could try doing a clean install and let the Windows installer redo the partitions and boot records, then recover the C image over that? I can't think of anything better to try in this case. Were you only backing up C instead of doing a System Image?

What process did you follow for attempting to restore C: ?

B1gJ1mmy

Jun 4, 2020
You could try doing a clean install and let the Windows installer redo the partitions and boot records, then recover the C image over that? I can't think of anything better to try in this case. Were you only backing up C instead of doing a System Image?

What process did you follow for attempting to restore C: ?
So I attempted do a system recovery via the boot USB but it would not detect the backups on the USB hard drive. I also tried connecting the hard drive internally.

I have tried reinstalling server 2019 it will not allow me to recover over the top as it thinks its different machine. Unless there is another application that can do the restore. Or maybe the is a powershell and/or Cmd way of doing the recovery i'm not aware of that will allow me to force the recovery.

Thanks.