[help] - Adaptec Raid 51245 - no boot after crash on expansion of raid 6

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mattias

Feb 5, 2017
Hi all

Today i decided to expand my RAID 6 with two more drives .. i added the first drive using the storage manager and hit apply. The application froze and after a while i got a blue screen and the PC rebooted. now my PC gets stuck on post with leds flashing on the raid controller.

here is a video:

the green light flashing to the left is the new disk that is being expanded to and acording to the manual its in a state of rebuilding. however after a few minutes the PC reboots and the process starts over. if i disconnect the new drive it still gets stuck on post except that LED is now off.

the red LEDs are lit 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 from left to right and this error code is not from what i can decipher in here: LED Blink Codes, Error Codes and Solutions so i have no idea what it is trying to tell me :/

the only way to get the PC to go past POST is to disconnect every drive from the RAID controller.

Does anyone have any idea if this is fixable in some way at all or is the RAID unrecoverable?

Best Regards
Mattias

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
It's porked. the only way to recover is to remove the drives, boot into the raid bios and delete the logical drive, reconnect the drives, recreate the array, restore data from backup.

Mattias

Feb 5, 2017
Thank you for the reply, the logical drive is not even there anymore, i guess it's truly ****ed. The question that i ask myself is why did this happen and how can i prevent it from happening the next time i try to expand, it doesn't seem very reliable. I now updated the raid controller firmware hopefully that fixes some issues.

Oh well time for a rebuild i guess :(

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Best practices always recommend updating the firmware to the latest stable version and also the operating system drivers and disk utilities.
I have a couple of 6805s and adaptec switched from storage manager to maxview web based management several years ago.
You can download a bootable version of maxview manager which might be worth a try before you totally give up on the array.
Expanding an array without a backup is a dangerous game, during the migration/expansion process, the data on the logical drives are not protected from disk failure. The expansion process runs the drives hard and for many days in a row until completed which doesn't usually happen in day to day access in all but the busiest datacenters. So there is a higher chance of a disk failure and data loss.

Last edited: