Help!!! 16bay rack mounted enclosure retrofit

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
So i recently acquired 3 16bay raid rack mounted raid enclosures and i want to retrofit these so i can use them for additional backups. They are Infortrend A16U-G1410. So I wanting to do a few different things with these but my biggest question is can I reuse the backplanes in these. They are SATA connectors for the HDD but there is one connector on the backplane for each row of drives that is supplying power and xfers. Looks like a SCSI connector but cant find any info on it. Looking to install a SAS expander into one of these for a raid array and would LOVE to be able to reuse this backplane. I have attached some pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also this system was originally SATA 1 then apparently SATA 2 after an update was released for it. If i am able to reuse the backplane would the speed be limited to 3gbs.
Or does anybody know of a kit where i can build my own backplane for it?

Specs
https://www.infortrend.com/ae/products/models/ES A16U-G1410

This is connector on the backplane. Would love to find a way to connect to this
IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg IMG_0219.jpg

Last edited:

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Well it looks exactly like a ye olde U320 SCSI, which the datasheet also mentions. U320 cards are easy to come by although they tend to be PCI/PCI-X, which is not very prevalent on modern boards. I dare say there's some PCIe U320 cards doing the rounds though.

From a quick scan of the datasheet, this is a U320 SCSI interface to a 16xSATA hardware RAID (and it seems to be from about the time when SCSI was just about to give way to SAS in the enterprise); as such it's unlikely to be able to accept SATA drives >2TB and I've no idea about there being any other backplanes that'll fit the same physical spec.

Reactions: Mike W

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
Thank you for the reply. I am going to research this. I am worried that the existing bays wont line up if put another backplane into it. I wa just looking and i cant find the dimensions for the supermicro backplane. I am going to build my one box so i can start backing up then i might get one of these and see if i cant make it work

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
Well it looks exactly like a ye olde U320 SCSI, which the datasheet also mentions. U320 cards are easy to come by although they tend to be PCI/PCI-X, which is not very prevalent on modern boards. I dare say there's some PCIe U320 cards doing the rounds though.

From a quick scan of the datasheet, this is a U320 SCSI interface to a 16xSATA hardware RAID (and it seems to be from about the time when SCSI was just about to give way to SAS in the enterprise); as such it's unlikely to be able to accept SATA drives >2TB and I've no idea about there being any other backplanes that'll fit the same physical spec.
Thank you for the reply,
All of the research i have done has kinda led me to the same conclusion as what you have said. These came out around 2004-05 time frame and were rocking at that point in time. SCSI raid and Fiber channel was the stuff. Funny aboput the PCI-x. I got a few desktops with these and they had PCI-X LSI scsi cards in them. Didnt even try to fire the desktops up. Saw the PCI-X slots, researched the appliances then made to decision to start ripping it all out. I knew it was a long shot to reuse the backplanes and i only wanted it for the convenience of having it. I am going to fit the case so the top removes easily for access now.. Honestly i am happy just having the enclosures. They are really nice and well built. Also i now have the HDD storage space available that i need with tons to spare which gives me the ability to play and experiment.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Do you have trays for these? Because if you don't - you are not going to save any money over just buying a whole different enclosure with trays included.

Other than that - there is a good enough chance that the new backplane is going to fit.

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
Do you have trays for these? Because if you don't - you are not going to save any money over just buying a whole different enclosure with trays included.

Other than that - there is a good enough chance that the new backplane is going to fit.
So I actually ended up getting a Supermicro 826 12 bay JBOD that I am building right now. It was fun retrofitting the cases to make what I wanted but started to become too much and they were gonna end up these Frankenstein boxes. Really happy with how the new server is coming along. Also I tried the backplane from my new case. Not even close

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I've already reached my limit on patience for messing with HW. I just want stuff to work without spending too much time. I've not even been doing any mods or customizations.

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
I've already reached my limit on patience for messing with HW. I just want stuff to work without spending too much time. I've not even been doing any mods or customizations.
Right there with you. It has been really nice getting parts that actually work together and fit within their designated area. I was cutting drive caddies and enclosure supports to fit a micro atx board in the other enclosure I was trying to build. Not gonna go into it. I’m really happy now. System is up and running like a champ. Just gonna keep building onto it from here. Have to thank nthu9280 for all the help and knowledge. Your the man. Thank you