Helium 8TB SATA HDD for $157

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Nice find, but these are being sold with only a 3yr warranty for some reason when the datasheet on them says 5yrs. Anyone have any experience with this vendor or this sale?

They're also 4Kn if that matters. For me it's pretty tempting as 4Kn drives are usually special order.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I hit them up and warranty expires February 2024. Probably explains why they put 3 years and the price
So then are they not new? Because a new drive would have 5yr warranty from the date of purchase with proof of purchase from an authorized distributor. The warranty based on the serial number probably would be 2024.

bilbo1337

Sep 18, 2020
Florida
So then are they not new? Because a new drive would have 5yr warranty from the date of purchase with proof of purchase from an authorized distributor.
Remainder warranty is still new though? I buy a lot of enterprise hardware and can tell you that anything from "authorized distributors" is a rip off. Finding new drives with remainder warranty is the way to go when finding a good deal. I remember a linus tech tip video where facebook iirc dumped a bunch of 4TB NVMe SSDs, that was a while ago and you still can't find that price he got them at.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Okay, besides the obvious--it is literally just the remainder of a factory warranty? And if this is the case, how can the drive be called new?
Many coin dealers on eBay grossly and sometimes laughingly over grade their coins. Most have no trouble selling a coin that has been crudely cleaned with any mention of that fact other than the photo clearly showing it. No doubt most all sellers do the similar things with their wares. The old adage "Buyer beware" always applies, even with sellers you know and trust.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Many coin dealers on eBay grossly and sometimes laughingly over grade their coins. Most have no trouble selling a coin that has been crudely cleaned with any mention of that fact other than the photo clearly showing it. No doubt most all sellers do the similar things with their wares. The old adage "Buyer beware" always applies, even with sellers you know and trust.
Agreed but this is a stand-alone company that would directly have to answer to customers and not be able to hide behind ebay. Hence, why I was asking about the whole 'remainder warranty' thing to understand if this is something other companies do too and what the caveats are of such devices. Because any time I've seen a drive advertised with less than its normal factory warranty, it's been something other than 'new'. This is the first time I'm seeing 'new' and it's actually not new.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Agreed but this is a stand-alone company that would directly have to answer to customers and not be able to hide behind ebay. Hence, why I was asking about the whole 'remainder warranty' thing to understand if this is something other companies do too and what the caveats are of such devices. Because any time I've seen a drive advertised with less than its normal factory warranty, it's been something other than 'new'. This is the first time I'm seeing 'new' and it's actually not new.
Some sellers define "New" in different ways from you and I. To me "New" means factory sealed and nothing less. I've bought more than one HD advertised as "New" that turned out to be anything but.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Some sellers define "New" in different ways from you and I. To me "New" means factory sealed and nothing less. I've bought more than one HD advertised as "New" that turned out to be anything but.
Yep, your and my definition of new is the same. Gotcha. So these aren't new then.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
It's possible to have a factory sealed drive with remaining warranty. You'll see it all the time on amazon and most places when it comes to enterprise components
Yeah, I didn't get the point there either. If I buy an HD new with 5-yr warranty and it sits on my spares shelf for 2 years, and I decide to unload it, well, the remaining warranty is 3 years, not 5.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yeah, I didn't get the point there either. If I buy an HD new with 5-yr warranty and it sits on my spares shelf for 2 years, and I decide to unload it, well, the remaining warranty is 3 years, not 5.
That's not really new then. Because a truly new drive will have a proof of purchase that gives you a 5 year warranty from the date of purchase, no matter how long it's sat on a shelf.

What you're talking about is 'new old stock', which is generally not under warranty because it's eol.

Crond

Mar 25, 2019
That's not really new then. Because a truly new drive will have a proof of purchase that gives you a 5 year warranty from the date of purchase, no matter how long it's sat on a shelf.

What you're talking about is 'new old stock', which is generally not under warranty because it's eol.
IMHO You're pushing it too far by mixing item itself, warranty and a seller.
Standard definition of "New" is "The item is brand new, unused, unopened, undamaged, and in its original packaging."

In general outside of implied warranty due to different laws and regulation, the item doesn't have to have an express warranty to be "new". So it's a new HDD sold by non-authorized seller :)