Heatsink for the 9361-8i shaves off 25.2F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Well it's taken a wee bit to pull off and it's not entirely finished yet as I still want to have the new sinks lapped and mirror polished but preliminary results for my new heatsink for the 9361-8i look encouraging. This particular sink I designed for tower cases but it would not to hard to make a mini version for those with the 1/2 slot cards.

My initial testing was done in the same environment with my aircon set at 22.c in both cases the aircon was not operative indicating this temperature had been reached.

The idle temperature of the 9361-8i with a fan sitting 75mm below it and running at low RPM was 48.c (118.4F)
The idle temperature under the same conditions for the new larger sink again with fan at low was 34.c (93.2 F)

That's a 14.c ( 25.2F ) difference folks and the sink is cold to the touch.

Once the sinks have been lapped and polished I will be performing the following tests at 22.c ambient.
1) No fan, no load - idle temperature.
2) No fan, copy a sheadload of files to and from a RAID6 array and back again to a new directory.
3) Fan, no load - idle temerature.
4) Fan , copy a sheadload of files to and from a RAID6 array and back again to a new directory.

If anyone can think of a better test for 2 and 3 to really heat up the on board CPU please let me know.

Last edited:

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Pictures for those who are interested. I am still in testing phase and will be making a unit for half heights as well but this is what I have so far, if anyone is interested I will look at supplying them both with or without polished lapped bases - that costs about another $15 NZD to get done.

HS1.jpg HS2.jpg

Reactions: Sleyk and BLinux

Nicolas Voisin

Nov 25, 2019
This is great work ! I am trying to keep the one slot profile so looking forward to see your next version !!
Planning on putting a card next to it very soon.
This is the only card that prevents me from setting case fans to low.
For now stuck with heavy IO fan mode + 40mm on top of heatsink to keep the roc under 70C

Looking for solutions with custom heat pipe and small radiator...