Heatsink for 4U EPYC Build - Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 vs. Supermicro SNK-P0064AP4

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ksnell

Feb 8, 2021
Build’s Name: Supermicro 4U EPYC Build
Operating System/ Storage Platform: VMware esxi
CPU: EPYC 7252 (will be upgrading to Milan 7313P eventually)
Motherboard: Supermicro H12SSL-CT
Chassis: Supermicro 4U CSE-846
Drives: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 2TB NVME, 6x 18TB Western Digital White Label Easystores
RAM: 4x 32GB 3200Mhz ECC
Add-in Cards: Nvidia RTX 3070
Power Supply: 2x PWS-920P-SQ
Other Bits:
- 2 x Supermicro 2x2.5" Hot-Swappable Rear Drive Kits (MCP-220-82616-0N) (4x SATA SSDs in Rear panel)
- 3x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM (mid wall)
- 2x Noctua NF-A8 PWM Fans (rear panel)
- CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3

Usage Profile: General duties include home media server, various docker containers, VMs, homelab projects, and mining with any remaining CPU/GPU performance.

Other information:
There is an interesting thread on this topic here but I did not want to hijack it. I built an EPYC server in a Supermicro 4U chassis currently using a 120w TDP 7252 but plan to upgrade to something a bit hotter later. This server lives in a home so there is a focus on reducing the jet engine sounds. As you can see in the specs above, I have replaced the mid fan wall with 3x Noctua NF-12's and the 2x rear window 80mm fans with Noctua NF-A8's. Well, I guess I was not paying enough attention to the listing when purchasing the CPU cooler and got the Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 which is oriented for workstation airflow and NOT front to back for a server. I added a couple of photos below for reference.

That being said, thus far in testing the performance of the Noctua cooler is just fine (albeit with a relatively small CPU), never getting over 55C in stress tests.

I know there is the Supermicro SNK-P0064AP4 available which is oriented in the correct direction for a server, but it only has one fan on it and I am unsure how much performance would be lost replacing it with a quieter Noctua NF-A9 92mm fan.

My questions are:
1. How much does the orientation of the cooler REALLY matter? It seems it gets both the perpendicular cooling plus the fan wall pushing through the front of the heatsink and evacuating all the heat to the rear regardless. Maybe I am just trying to convince myself to keep the Noctua, but there is the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!
2. I'm concerned the Supermicro cooler might be insufficient if I replace the fan, especially in a case without jet engine server fans to begin with. Does anyone have any experience with this cooler (bonus if it has a quieter fan installed)?
IMG_7219.pngIMG_7221.png

EDIT: Would this better fit in the "DIY and Makers Spot" section?

Last edited:

Mace

Feb 3, 2021
I have the same cooler as you do and a 7313p. Did load&stress test and with all cores running at max speed, the Noctua kept them at around 53-55C. I have it mounted in a 'desktop' case, but during testing it was flat on the table. I think you won't get into heating trouble.

What I would do is move your GPU to a lower slot if possible. This gives the bottom fan on the Noctua more breathing space and colder air.

ksnell

Feb 8, 2021
I have the same cooler as you do and a 7313p. Did load&stress test and with all cores running at max speed, the Noctua kept them at around 53-55C. I have it mounted in a 'desktop' case, but during testing it was flat on the table. I think you won't get into heating trouble.

What I would do is move your GPU to a lower slot if possible. This gives the bottom fan on the Noctua more breathing space and colder air.
Thanks. I saw you in the other thread (accidentally sent you four!). They just don't seem to be as available right now in the US so I bought a used 7252 to hold me off.

Definitely not a bad idea about the GPU at least while I don't have the other slots filled. The cooler itself does seem really nice and I'll probably keep it unless there is a compelling reason not to use it in a server chassis. I understand optimally all airflow should go front to back but I am just not sure it's going to matter THAT much with 5 other fans all going front to back. I can definitely say this would be my choice in a desktop/workstation configuration so its good to hear your results are nice.

Reactions: Mace

Rychek

Jul 28, 2020
I'm running the Noctua NH-U9 TRX-SP3 in my EPYC build using a 7272 and Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T. Current role is a crypto miner, so all cores are running full out all the time in addition to two graphics cards. According to HardwareInfo, my CPU is sitting at 60 degrees C (current temp and max temp). I could probably get lower temps if I had a case with a fan wall, but my cheap 4U Chenbro doesn't have room for one. It sounds like your setup will be just fine cooling wise.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
i would say you are more than fine, epycs generally run quite cool, and importantly your vrm heatsinks are positioned for front to back airflow so they get proper cooling in your setup, you could always watercool it looks like you have more than enough space in the middle there, but probabaly wont need it.

ksnell

Feb 8, 2021
That's great I appreciate the feedback. I think I'll keep it since after all, it is working quite well. I'll figure something else out down the road if needed but very much enjoying the quiet fans now that the 80mm originals are gone!

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
Should you have consistently high to full load AND your CPU goes beyond 70°C, by then I would consider to change the CPU cooler. But in this range... Whats more interesting are the NIC temperatures, which tend to get hotter. Again: if those go beyond 85°C I would consider changing the CPU cooler, simply since it can then also add cooling for the NICs.

ksnell

Feb 8, 2021
Should you have consistently high to full load AND your CPU goes beyond 70°C, by then I would consider to change the CPU cooler. But in this range... Whats more interesting are the NIC temperatures, which tend to get hotter. Again: if those go beyond 85°C I would consider changing the CPU cooler, simply since it can then also add cooling for the NICs.
Thanks I'll keep an eye on that. So far they stay right around 65C max so that doesn't sound too bad. Then again I haven't been working them all that hard...yet.