Headset for Homeoffice

Which headset for (Home-)Office

• Razer ManO’War

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hi,

since I (as many of us I imagine) are now am working from home more than usual I was looking into something better then my Samsung provided cellphone headset.

I see a lot of variety (in features and price) and contradictory statements all around so I thought I'd ask for some feedback.

What are you guys using? Cheap or quality?

In the end what I am looking for would be the following (in order of priority)
1. Wireless (for pacing)
2. Comfortable to wear (not necessarily 8hrs a day but an hour or two at a time at least)
3. Good audio quality for calls (cellphone or PC), includes noise cancelling on Mic, not necessarily needed on speakers
4. Multi-Source connectivity (eg USB-A + Bluetooth - 2 sources at least, better 3 [multi BT ok])
5. Good audio quality for music (when not in call) - ideally with autostop of music when a call arrives on either channel (BT or USB)
6. Good battery (at least a day of active use)
7. No need (actually prefer not present) for voice assistants

Anything you can recommend?

Thanks

Edit - added a poll for better visualisation

Edit 2- added auto close for the poll in 7 days

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I'm using Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000 that I got from work.
They feel cheap and are uncomfortable for longer sessions...
(Watching this thread now :D)

Reactions: Rand__

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
At a PC I used wired Jabra MS80 over ear noise canceling. If on phone or iPad then Apple AirPods are good for me atleast.
For wireless on ear the MS75 seems popular with people I work with.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
I use Jabra Evolve 75's and ended up getting them for all the folks @ work too. Comfy to wear long term, wireless, good audio quality for listening to music / videos etc + good quality during calls. Mic is good and quality of calls when everyone switched over went way up. Lasts for 12-14h of usage on a charge, and if you only use it for calls can go day or two depending on how often you use it. It has ANC and an actual little button on the right-hand top side that will mute your mic so you don't have to dig through windows on your desktop to mute yourself quick.

It will pair with other bluetooth things like a phone, but if you do if your phone bloops during a call or something it plays the phone noise then switches back to the PC which is annoying so I only pair it when I am on the road.
I typically use the included little USB bluetooth dongle they provide as the main link to the headset vs a USB cable or setting up bluetooth directly to my laptop - that lets me move it to the other laptops easy, and windows plays nice choosing the proper audio input/output that way. But the other folks use bluetooth only with their Mac's or windows and it is fine there too.

Also a massive upgrade if you have to do a conference call on the road - pair it with your phone and way better quality for speakers and mic. Also nice for movie watching on flights.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am the weirdo here. I use one of two options:
  1. Bluetooth headset from phone. This varies a bit based on which I have lost and found recently.
  2. Razer Man O War wireless with cooling gel ear cushion kit
The first is if I need something small. The second is comfortable to wear for long periods of time. I figure anything built for gamers to be comfortable for multi-hour gaming sessions is decent to work on.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Those are single audio source only though, aren't they (Connection type: Wireless USB Transceiver) ?

edge

Apr 22, 2013
I used a plantronics w8220. I did a ton of lync/skype/teams and webex conferences plus it worked with my pc, my cellphone (bluetooth), and VoIP line (push button to switch).

I used the w720 before the 8220, I liked that as well.

Expensive, but battery life was good, voice quality was good, and I found the headset comfortable for the 4 to 6 hours a day that I was wearing it.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
I like my plantronics voyager when running around, but in the home office, I just have a condensor mic on a boom and a few VST's stacked to filter out mechanical keyboard nose. I dial in with skype and try to avoid using an ear piece.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I must be the only one with a desk phone in their home office? I just put my Cisco 8961 on speaker and don't bother with a headset when I'm not in the office since there's no ambient noise.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You're telling me that now - kidding, would have been too annoying with shipping & taxes (and delay) anyway, but thanks for the offer.

Picked up a slightly used Jabra 75 on Ebay so will see how that works.
Thanks all for the feedback.

Reactions: T_Minus

Diavuno

I have a bunch of the M165 units around my house/office.

people often said it sounded like I was underwater or windy....

I got sick of it and decided to just throw money at a nice unit.
got the PLT V5100, its pretty awesome... wish I got the model with the charging stand as the micro USB cover is a bit of a pain... but its relly good in all other regards.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
OP, vote closed, but out of your choices I would go with Plantronics Voyager - no doubt, it's best.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Didnt see much differences between the Voyager and a Jabra - but then I am no expert so nu clue re nuances.
Picked up a used Jabra which is working fine at this point - have not found anything that was not working as expected -
actually have not used it much beyond calls, not tried music or two active input streams yet.