Headless Crashplan no longer works with Crashplan upgrade to 4.3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
So I have been running crashplan headless on my OmniOS file server and use the client on my Windows box to communicate to it. Well today I rebooted my windows box and apparently the windows client upgraded to 4.3. It appears that 4.3 client can not talk to the 4.2 server on the OmnisOS. Okay so I look to find an upgrade to 4.3 for solaris and there is none, Code42 has stopped supporting Solaris? I have tried finding the 4.2 client for window but not much luck so far.

Anyone else run into this issue with Crashplan? Did they move their solaris support to the PROe version and leave us home users in the dust?

dataoscar

Dec 2, 2013
I can't speak to OmniOS, but in my FreeNas box CP always auto updates itself.

With the new 4.3 update the UI now must have a valid token when communicating with the service. Also, the UI port on the service got randomly assigned as well. I will look for the thread in the FreeNAS forums, but lots of folks ran into the issue.

Btw, crashplan is mostly Java.

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
Code42 did drop support for Solaris. A workaround would be to run crash plan in an lx branded zone. (Illumos kernel, Linux user space). It would have to be a recent kernel. I run lx brand on SmartOS but I know it has been upstramed and omni should have it.

TechIsCool

Feb 8, 2012
Clinton, WA
techiscool.com
Grumble Grumble why did they drop support solaris and is there an obligation to upgrade?

I answered my own question yes it will EOL when version 5 comes out.
This was announced last year but somehow I would have expected an email since they know I was using the solaris client.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

nle

Oct 24, 2012
After they announced CP EOL on Solaris. I did the following. I shared my OmniOS ZFS pool via NFS to a new Ubuntu Server VM that only runs Crashplan. Works fine. Takes a little bit more resources, but not alot. AND more importantly you are not stuck with the memory limitations of 32 bit CrashPlan. Linux CP is 64 bit.

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
After they announced CP EOL on Solaris. I did the following. I shared my OmniOS ZFS pool via NFS to a new Ubuntu Server VM that only runs Crashplan. Works fine. Takes a little bit more resources, but not alot. AND more importantly you are not stuck with the memory limitations of 32 bit CrashPlan. Linux CP is 64 bit.
Hmm, maybe not a bad option. I could just spin up a small linux vm for it.