HDD support in Dell EqualLogic PS6010 24x3,5" SAN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CarlWilhelm

Oct 28, 2020
Hi. I have the possibility of getting one of these SAN's with 10G networking for very cheap, but i cannot fin any info on supported HDD size except for the OEM info from Dell wich from my understanding only tells what Dell sold them with, and not the maximal supported HDD size.

Does anyone here have any experience with this type of SAN?

dwilliam62

Mar 20, 2022
Hello,
The limit is partially based on the version of the EqualLogic firmware. The largest ever tested in a 6010 is 4TB. However, there is a larger issue. You can not use OEM drives with a 6010 array. Only drives made for EqualLogic will be recognized and allowed to be used. Even a Dell enterprise or drive from another Dell SAN will NOT work. There is no workaround either. You will need to find refurbished drives that are specifically EQL qualified for that array. The 6010 only runs at 10GbE by the way. It does not auto negotiate down to GbE.
Regards,
Don

ScottKarch

Jun 7, 2022
We have 3 PS6010 units with the v10 firmware. 2 of them have 2TB SATA SSDs using the SATA interposer boards on the E models.
We have one unit with 16x 6TB Seagate SAS disks. They work fine. The unit complains that they are not supported Equallogic disks but they do work. We are researching how large a disk they can use as a disaster recovery replication SAN. We want to try out 16TB drives. I'm assuming that since they can use 6TB SAS disks that they can probably use the 16TB as well. ..... but I don't know that. I was hoping others had tried. As for the4TB drives, we have 6TB SAS drives working.

From our testing we could not get SATA drives greater than 2TB workng with the interposers. They may work for someone else.

dwilliam62

Mar 20, 2022
We have 3 PS6010 units with the v10 firmware. 2 of them have 2TB SATA SSDs using the SATA interposer boards on the E models.
We have one unit with 16x 6TB Seagate SAS disks. They work fine. The unit complains that they are not supported Equallogic disks but they do work. We are researching how large a disk they can use as a disaster recovery replication SAN. We want to try out 16TB drives. I'm assuming that since they can use 6TB SAS disks that they can probably use the 16TB as well. ..... but I don't know that. I was hoping others had tried. As for the4TB drives, we have 6TB SAS drives working.

From our testing we could not get SATA drives greater than 2TB workng with the interposers. They may work for someone else.
Hello
Re: 2TB. The SATA spec maxes out at 2TB that explains that issue. SAS does not have that limit

Re: 16TB. No drive anywhere near 16TB was ever qualified. I would also check the power consumptions and heat of those drives vs. the supported drives.

re: Supported drives. The 6010 should be checking for a custom identifier embedded in the drives Without that I am suprised, especially with V10 firmware is accepted them. Did you buidl it with older FW and upgrade? You may find starting from scratch with unspported disks won't work.

Regards,
Don