HBA newbie here with an LSI card and have a couple of basic questions (6pin power/verifying genuine card)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lemmywane

Jun 15, 2022
Just bought a lsi 9300-16i. Price seemed pretty cheap for this and I want to make sure I've got a genuine card. I've read that people verify their serial numbers with LSI to make sure they didn't buy a "counterfeit". Has anybody here done that? If so, could you be kind to point me in the direction where I could do that?

Also, this card comes with a port for a 6-pin power cable, kind of like a GPU would. I actually forgot to plug the power cable into it but it is running fine anyway. Is there any benefit or need to using the 6-pin power cable?

The card is working as expected and very well so far, so my concerns about the power and legitimacy of it being an LSI card are just to make sure I am doing everything correctly. Thanks for any help!

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
The aux power connector is only needed if the power supply for that PCIe slot is limited to 25W. Although that is technically the limit for most x1 to x8 cards, most slots provide more. If you are plugged into an x16 slot, you definitely won't need it.

That said, it will also do no harm to connect the aux power.

lemmywane

Jun 15, 2022
The aux power connector is only needed if the power supply for that PCIe slot is limited to 25W. Although that is technically the limit for most x1 to x8 cards, most slots provide more. If you are plugged into an x16 slot, you definitely won't need it.

That said, it will also do no harm to connect the aux power.
Thank you. This is very helpful. I have it running in a x16 slot so as you said, I suppose 6-pin won't be needed. Again, this is of great help. I appreciate it.