Has anyone tested trilogy?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I'm dense but why? There's plenty of reputable pdu vendors. Not saying these guys aren't but there's big players in the market.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
I'm dense but why? There's plenty of reputable pdu vendors. Not saying these guys aren't but there's big players in the market.
I'm looking for something to help me out with having to run so many power whips. I have a suite that needs 12 power whips and another that needs 20 power whips so I'm trying to get something neat and effective.

Without having the end game look like this; along with being able to manage and monitor it from my office.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Not sure how painfully expensive they are at small scale, but modular busways like these are quite common in new build-outs in colos Flexible Power Electrical Busbar System | Starline Busway you may be able to pick them up on the used market.

Also with a low ceiling like that, if your PDU's have a long enough entry cord and you are pulling power from above you can have your electrician install a normal tray with the locking outlets above, or horizontal with a ladder rack below that you can use to attach the PDU entry cable to for strain relief.

The other option is put a breaker panel in that room and just run the whips from the panel. 40-50 whips isn't bad.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Not sure how painfully expensive they are at small scale, but modular busways like these are quite common in new build-outs in colos Flexible Power Electrical Busbar System | Starline Busway you may be able to pick them up on the used market.

Also with a low ceiling like that, if your PDU's have a long enough entry cord and you are pulling power from above you can have your electrician install a normal tray with the locking outlets above, or horizontal with a ladder rack below that you can use to attach the PDU entry cable to for strain relief.

The other option is put a breaker panel in that room and just run the whips from the panel. 40-50 whips isn't bad.
If only the starline bus system wasn’t so darn expensive. I’m going to look on amazon or eBay to see if I can find anything used under market value.

Having a breaker panel in the suite seems cool and might look professional and then running cables from that point into the locking outlets.

I need to get a visual of that in my head and maybe jot it down tomorrow for memory purposes.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas

Something like this?

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Yeah something like that could work fine. Do a sub-panel for each 200/400A circuit coming into the room and then your 20/30/50A breakers in the panel and MC to pendants or a pre-built PDU whip off of the breaker in the panel and over to the rack.
It is a very common setup in colos, they just tend to have the panels of breakers in an adjacent room or on the edge of the room and run longer lines from the panels to above/below the customer racks depending on the design of the room. I have been in a number of palces with stand-alone 800A panels on each end of a row of racks as well, and when you provision a circuit pair they run MC to a pair of outlets above the rack in the power tray/ladder rack over to the 2 closest panels with enough capacity free since they are laid out as A B A B so you don't need to go far for redundant power lines. Overkill for your app but what you have in mind is similar to what a lot of places have done is all.

Reactions: ELit3

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Yeah something like that could work fine. Do a sub-panel for each 200/400A circuit coming into the room and then your 20/30/50A breakers in the panel and MC to pendants or a pre-built PDU whip off of the breaker in the panel and over to the rack.
It is a very common setup in colos, they just tend to have the panels of breakers in an adjacent room or on the edge of the room and run longer lines from the panels to above/below the customer racks depending on the design of the room. I have been in a number of palces with stand-alone 800A panels on each end of a row of racks as well, and when you provision a circuit pair they run MC to a pair of outlets above the rack in the power tray/ladder rack over to the 2 closest panels with enough capacity free since they are laid out as A B A B so you don't need to go far for redundant power lines. Overkill for your app but what you have in mind is similar to what a lot of places have done is all.
I'm going to go this route. Do you know any idea to monitor the power going into the breaker panel? Before the PDU?

I'm trying to find a way to monitor the power specifically coming into the building as well as what's going into each individual suite before it hits distribution.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
How accurate , lots of cheaper clamp meter option that you can use

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
How accurate , lots of cheaper clamp meter option that you can use
I want to monitor 2 suites with 1 sub breaker each from a central location about 40 ft away in my office. Without having to put a $1,000 switch metered pdu for each whip having 4 in each suite.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Home | OpenEnergyMonitor
That’s the pretty good looking way, plenty of paid for devices, or a raspberry pi or similar with some meters attached should do the job cheap and easy or am I missing something your asking for ?

Reactions: ELit3