Has anyone loaded SONIC on a Mellanox SN2700 switch?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sjhwilkes

Oct 17, 2020
Thanks for that - got further. Have one switch working. The other I can't get the correct interfaces into the configuration.
I've checked the port.ini configuration for the SN2700-RO in the source preliminary DB.
and doesn't seem to match whenever I push the following config.

sudo sonic-cfggen --preset l2 -p -H -k Mellanox-SN2700 | sudo config load /dev/stdin -y
or
sudo sonic-cfggen --preset l2 -p -H -k Mellanox-SN2700-RO | sudo config load /dev/stdin -y

I get extra "50G" ports.

Is there a mapping anywhere of which models / options there are / any other ideas to troubleshoot?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
No idea that might help, but could you create a small guide what you did for the next guy looking for this? :)
(after u r finished o/c)

slampt

Jul 7, 2022
Build 84354 of branch 202111 was successful.
I can't seem to find this build anywhere can anyone assist with a link/image. The latest build doesn't seem to work well (docker containers crash).

TIA

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Looks like their pipelines don't keep older builds--modifying current builds' URLs won't find them. Your only hope is to try successful builds. Also try other branches.

tattoocau

Jul 22, 2022
I tried Azure SONIC on my SN2700 and I had a lot of trouble with it.

Switch would boot with red psu/system/fan indicators, the fan indicators on the back would randomly light red/green between boots, and I could not get the switching to work for the life of me.

Everything was smooth as pie once I installed Mellanox Onyx again. This may have specifically been due to my environment/lack of knowledge/ settings, etc. But I can say Mellanox Onyx has worked far better than Sonic for me.
Where did you get the Onyx image? As many Onyx image from the Internet can not be installed under ONIE...

tsteine

May 15, 2019
Where did you get the Onyx image? As many Onyx image from the Internet can not be installed under ONIE...
From the mellanox support site, I bought a Mellanox Silver support contract.

Mellanox provided a .bin type image for installation under ONIE, though it seems to me like they removed them at some point and stopped supporting the ability to switch between SONIC/ONYX

tattoocau

Jul 22, 2022
From the mellanox support site, I bought a Mellanox Silver support contract.

Mellanox provided a .bin type image for installation under ONIE, though it seems to me like they removed them at some point and stopped supporting the ability to switch between SONIC/ONYX
So if I get a SN2700 with ONYX preinstalled, then I can not switch to SONIC?
As I think before, SN2700 with ONYX still have ONIE, if the users install other OS under ONIE, or uninstall OS, they may not return to ONYX if they don't have the ONYX bin image...

tsteine

May 15, 2019
So if I get a SN2700 with ONYX preinstalled, then I can not switch to SONIC?
As I think before, SN2700 with ONYX still have ONIE, if the users install other OS under ONIE, or uninstall OS, they may not return to ONYX if they don't have the ONYX bin image...
I assume switching from onyx to sonic would be no problem, but getting the .bin to switch back to onyx would be problematic. I am also not sure how Nvidia would react from a support stand point should you have issues with your device afterwards.