Has anyone loaded SONIC on a Mellanox SN2700 switch?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Have not installed on a SN2700 but on my Celestica it was no issue - tftp and go

tsteine

May 15, 2019
I tried Azure SONIC on my SN2700 and I had a lot of trouble with it.

Switch would boot with red psu/system/fan indicators, the fan indicators on the back would randomly light red/green between boots, and I could not get the switching to work for the life of me.

Everything was smooth as pie once I installed Mellanox Onyx again. This may have specifically been due to my environment/lack of knowledge/ settings, etc. But I can say Mellanox Onyx has worked far better than Sonic for me.

Reactions: tattoocau

Jab.R

Apr 16, 2016
Cincinnati OH
I just got my SN2700 up and running in my home lab! ($1200)

The red psu led is when only one AC power cord plugged in.
The console RJ45 is under MGMT1 which is to the right of MGMT0 in the back.
I loaded sonic-mellanox.bin from USB as confirmed by console using the instructions found here:
-- User Guide — Open Network Install Environment documentation
I entered the management MAC addresses into my DHCP server.
First boot into ONIE, then boot into SONIC on GRUB

see:
-- Azure/SONiC
-- Azure/SONiC

Voila, ssh in at admin@mgmt0-ip

tsteine

May 15, 2019
That was the procedure I followed as well.

And to note, the PSU led was red for mine even when both PSUs were plugged in.
But I also have a weird idiosyncrasy with my switch where port 1/11 only functions properly if it's power cycled with only port 1/11 plugged in, so might just be the switch hardware throwing some fault during the Sonic boot that Mellanox Onyx doesnt.

My switch revision is B4 by the way.

Jab.R

Apr 16, 2016
Cincinnati OH
Finally! Need to check the error logs carefully. There's lots of undocumented stuff and any config file errors can throw an exception ... that said its great that we have open source NOS based on Linux, docker etc.

vishone

Oct 16, 2019
I tried Azure SONIC on my SN2700 and I had a lot of trouble with it.

Switch would boot with red psu/system/fan indicators, the fan indicators on the back would randomly light red/green between boots, and I could not get the switching to work for the life of me.

Everything was smooth as pie once I installed Mellanox Onyx again. This may have specifically been due to my environment/lack of knowledge/ settings, etc. But I can say Mellanox Onyx has worked far better than Sonic for me.
Hello buddy
I want to ask how SN2700 installs onyx-X86_64-3.8.2306.img in ONIE mode. I have tried the img format can not be installed directly in ONIE mode.

tsteine

May 15, 2019
Hello buddy
I want to ask how SN2700 installs onyx-X86_64-3.8.2306.img in ONIE mode. I have tried the img format can not be installed directly in ONIE mode.
As I recall, you need a binary installer for ONIE with Onyx, that is not included with the regular images.

tsteine

May 15, 2019
I cannot find Onyx's ONIE binary installer on Mellanox. Can you find it for me?
My mellanox silver support subscription is expired.
They provide an upgrade tool that lets you select a source and destination version, select a sufficiently old version, then the binary installer should pop up.

vishone

Oct 16, 2019
My mellanox silver support subscription is expired.
They provide an upgrade tool that lets you select a source and destination version, select a sufficiently old version, then the binary installer should pop up.
Is the upgrade tool WinMFT_x64_4_16_3_12.exe?

vishone

Oct 16, 2019
[QUOTE =“ vishone,帖子:300688,成员:24197”]
升级工具是WinMFT_x64_4_16_3_12.exe吗?
[/引用]
1618300478939.png
1618300465408.png

tsteine

May 15, 2019
No, the support page for Mellanox switches is https://support.mellanox.com/ and requires a mellanox silver support subscription.

The Download Center page for mellanox switches lets you select a from and to version, which then lists all the firmware/images you need to get from that version to your destination version.

Sjhwilkes

Oct 17, 2020
Does anyone have a Sonic build for the SN2700? It's frustrating Mellanox have gated this open source software behind their support portal.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I looked at those too before my reply but have not found a working build - but o/c only spent 5 minutes.
The newer ones I checked all have failed.