1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone had any problems with ebay seller "xtrememicro"?

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by horse horse, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

2. BenchZowner

BenchZowner Member

Here's one of my chips

[​IMG]

3. horse horse

horse horse New Member

I want to follow up and rectify couple points:

The seller (xtrememicro) eventually shipped and the 2 CPUs (E5 2650 v4) were eventually delivered. I just tested them and they seem to be running fine and because they consume less energy and run way cooler than my current dual E5 2690 v3 chips I decided to keep them.

But the whole shopping experienced left a pretty bad impression regarding this particular seller. It took an Ebay investigation and my credit card company to compel the seller to start engaging in a resolution and after he eventually shipped he offered me to either keep the chips when they arrive or else return them for a full refund. It should not go like this and to be honest I think it was probably a string of bad events on the seller's side. I am sure that he did not have inventory when he advertised the chips on Ebay and tried to stall despite me having asked BEFOREHAND whether he had inventory and he assured he had and that he would be shipping the ships within 3 business days after payment was received. That was not the case. But after all I received the chips and they perform as advertised.

Just wanted to follow up and be honest and reflect that the seller in the end held to his end of the bargain. Despite that I will in the future stick to Taobao which I have a much more reliable experience shopping at for items such as this.

Good luck to all others, I want to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this site, it provides a wealth of information and it enabled me to make an informed decision which chips to go with.

Patrick likes this.
  4. Nanotech

Nanotech Active Member

I was told they would use DHL for Canada as well. Did they charge you brokerage, customs, or any other fees or only require signature? I'd assume though if they didn't charge you any extra fees it's probably because it was within the $800 US limit.

5. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

One of my 4 was DOA. Same spec, same sockets and one never works. After 2 hours confirming it's DOA I feel like the best I'm going to come out is even money.

6. Jeggs101

Jeggs101 Well-Known Member

7. chriscambridge

That is the OEM V3 Xeon Chip that I just bought from ExtremeMicro.

I will be testing it out fully tomorrow when the DDR4 3200 RAM arrives, using a Asus X99 Duluxe motherboard.

8. Nanotech

Nanotech Active Member

Do you have a picture of the backside of the processor? Any chips or cracks in the pcb or scratched contact pads?

9. chriscambridge

Not it all looks pretty good apart from a few minor dinks and scratches; to be honest a lot of the dinks/scratches are not really that visible to the eye, its only because these images are such hi-res and large that you can see them quite clearly.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  10. chriscambridge

Yeah it worked totally fine.

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 New Member

12. chriscambridge

CPU-Z reports our CPU as OEM/Retail; basically there is no ES or QS in the specification.

Specification: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2683 V3 @ 2.00 GHz

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  13. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 New Member

Ok, it's just that there's been a recent batch of ES being sold as OEM (around Jan 17), hence me asking for the Intel tool output.

14. chriscambridge

I am fairly confident that all these programs , be it CPU-Z, Intel processor diagnostic tool, or Intel processor identify utility, all work by querying the chip itself and getting it to report its actually specification.

Obviously, like you mentioned, there is no point in relying on the potentially re-stamped S-Spec code..

15. chriscambridge

Yeah it is fine.

There is no mention of ES or QS; previously screenshots on this software we have seen on these engineering samples say "This is an ES/QS...".

To be honest we had absolutely no problem with this seller. ES/QS chips were sold as such; The OEM we bought is clearly Tray/OEM and not a QS/ES version.

Obviously just to make sure, we paid by card so if we were sold ES/QS as OEM chips then we could just do a charge-back via our bank.

16. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 New Member

Stellar, many thanks for checking it out!

17. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Just as a heads-up. I ordered 8x CPUs from xtrememicro (had purchased 6 of the same model previously). Only 6 arrived in the box.

18. chriscambridge

Have they agreed to send you out replacements for the missing items?

19. Patriot

Patriot Moderator

Um... if it is a QS chip (latest stepping of "ES" before production) and is the stepping that becomes production... it will show up as a retail chip... and have full functionality of it. QK chips should show up as retail. If they don't... they are QH and not QK...

T_Minus likes this.
  20. ElBerryKM13

ElBerryKM13 Member

Doubtful. They probably will fight it tooth and nails.