Hartford Stage Audio & Projections Department Large File Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
I have a label maker, and every drive caddy is labeled with what the size and the pairing is. It's just nice that my 2950 will have all of the full drive bays light up green to let me know at a glance that everything is good. I was hoping the supermicro would do the same thing. I saw on someones picture of Supermicro 4u chassis that they had all of their drives populated and lit like I am referring to (I think it was on the 12u thread)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Amaon just had them on sale for $9.99 i snagged 2 :) wife has one, now i have one :) LOL!!

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Currently the blue lights only are on when there is activity on the hard drives. Is there a way to tell the backplane to have any connected hard drives blue lights be constantly on, and still blink when there is activity?
This is the default action when SAS drives are loaded into the backplane. SATA drives only have blue blinky lights when there is activity. If there's a way to change this, I'm not aware of it.

(And yes, it's the reason I sold my SATA drives and kept my SAS! I'm a sucker for LEDs.)

Reactions: Morgan Simmons

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
This is the default action when SAS drives are loaded into the backplane. SATA drives only have blue blinky lights when there is activity. If there's a way to change this, I'm not aware of it.

(And yes, it's the reason I sold my SATA drives and kept my SAS! I'm a sucker for LEDs.)
:) It just makes it so much easier to see that everything is ok without firing up the management computer!

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
Working on the server. Got 4 850 pro's in thanks to @T_Minus, and my Windows Storage Spaces score is pretty good, but I'm trying to see if I can up the score a bit more. Here is a link to some questions I asked about storage spaces in the Windows Server subforum:
Serer 2012 R2, Storage Spaces and Tiering

Funny thing with the SSD Drives in the supermicro case. The led light up like I would like them to with the SSD's (activity light on all the time, and blinks for actual activity), but not with the hard drives.

Oh,and Nas4Free was not working well at all; consistently loosing my configuration for the zfs pools. I hate Freenas with a fiery passion (how hard can you make it to add users to an SMB share) So I'm trying WinServer2012r2.

Now the question is should I switch everything over to Hyper-V over the summer? I'm currently running 2 servers in esxi, which works well for me, but hyper-V may be easier to manage both servers with less used resources if I stick with Windows Storage Spaces.

Thanks all
Marshall

Last edited:

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
So I tried a straight install of Win2012r2. The strangest thing is that it cannot recognize my 1015 HBA. A vm of it through Esxi worked perfectly fine when I passed it though. Device Manager shows that there is an error on a PCI bus, and it follows the card when I switch it to another slot. I've also tried installing the Intel drivers from supermicro, as well as reflashing the card to IT mode.

I'm completely stumped on this one.

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
So I tried a straight install of Win2012r2. The strangest thing is that it cannot recognize my 1015 HBA. A vm of it through Esxi worked perfectly fine when I passed it though. Device Manager shows that there is an error on a PCI bus, and it follows the card when I switch it to another slot. I've also tried installing the Intel drivers from supermicro, as well as reflashing the card to IT mode.

I'm completely stumped on this one.
Got it fixed, but I'm still stumped as to why. Enabling SR-IOV in bios kills my HBA. I thought that SR-IOV had to do with networking.

Reactions: T_Minus

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Got it fixed, but I'm still stumped as to why. Enabling SR-IOV in bios kills my HBA. I thought that SR-IOV had to do with networking.
SR-IOV is not networking specific - it works at the PCIe level. While it is most commonly seen on NICs, it is also very common on CNAs (a card with a 10GbE port (or more) presenting many NIC/FCoE/iSCSI virtual functions on the bus), and occasionally seen elsewhere too (eg. Dell VRTX sharing a single LSI-based PERC controller across multiple hosts).

Reactions: Patriot